T176 roaring ?s

T176 roaring ?s

Josh m

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj8 6cy
I have a 84 CJ8 that is equipped with a T-176 4 speed. I'm pretty sure that the input shaft bearing is shot. There is a roar coming from the Transmission when the clutch peddle is out. If I press the peddle to the floor it will quiet down for a minute but will gradually start to make the same noise. What do you guys think? Can I just drop the Transmission and pull the bearing while the Transmission is still on the stand? The Transmission shifts perfectly, and the clutch seems to be operating as it should. I don't want to do a complete overhaul if its not necessary. I may go ahead and swap out the throw out bearing too. It's a 84 CJ8 with T-176 4 speed 4.2liter i6. Thanks in advance.

I have a 84 CJ8 that is equipped with a T-176 4 speed. I'm pretty sure that the input shaft bearing is shot. There is a roar coming from the Transmission when the clutch peddle is out. If I press the peddle to the floor it will quiet down for a minute but will gradually start to make the same noise. What do you guys think? Can I just drop the Transmission and pull the bearing while the Transmission is still on the stand? The Transmission shifts perfectly, and the clutch seems to be operating as it should. I don't want to do a complete overhaul if its not necessary. I may go ahead and swap out the throw out bearing too. It's a 84 CJ8 with T-176 4 speed 4.2liter i6. Thanks in advance.

:)Josh

Do you have any Free Play at the Clutch Pedal? Meaning that while the pedal is out or up is there an area of minimal resistance as you push back down? Should be about 3/4" - 1" of play at the top of the pedal travel. .................This sounds like a throw out bearing that is burned up and has been run without any play in the pedal and linkage.
If you have no play adjust the linkage so that you do.............If the noise goes away you'll know you found the problem..........This will not fix the bearing which will have to be replaced soon.
:D:D:D:D

That's good news. I'll check it out. I forgot to mention that if I press the clutch long enough for it to start making the noise, then I put it in gear the noise stops immediately. I'll check the play in the peddle this afternoon and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

That's good news. I'll check it out. I forgot to mention that if I press the clutch long enough for it to start making the noise, then I put it in gear the noise stops immediately. I'll check the play in the peddle this afternoon and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

:)Josh:

Have you checked your Transmission for gear oil?

Well that's interesting..........so clutch out.... it roars but Transmission and clutch seems to work OK ............are you stopped or going down the road at what speed?.............

Then you added If I press the clutch in and put it into gear the noise stops.

Does the noise stop while the pedal is down or out while in gear?

If the Transmission is working fine I doubt a bearing that is roaring inside would not effect the shifting ..........There should also be nothing moving that fast inside the Transmission unless you are driving fast............

The clutch could be effected but still sounds like a throw out bearing.

Ok i have changed fluid in Transmission . I changed it out with a gear oil that's good to use with yellow metal. Also the noise I am describing is while the jeep is parked. So with the Transmission in neutral and the clutch pressed, the noise tapers off slowly until it almost stops. If I put it in any gear that roar will stop completely. If I am rolling to a stop in gear with the clutch pressed it will roar with the Transmission rpm until I come to a complete stop. The peddle does seem like It could stand to be loosened a little. I'll do that this afternoon.

Ok I loosened the clutch linkage and the noise is still there. It's coming from the bell housing and not the gearbox so I guess I'll just have to tear into it and see what I find

Ok I loosened the clutch linkage and the noise is still there. It's coming from the bell housing and not the gearbox so I guess I'll just have to tear into it and see what I find

:)Josh,

If it was tight previously the throw out bearing is probably shot.........there designed to run just "part time" when you put the clutch in and shift.....Other than the noise it's not going to hurt anything but it will not get any better and eventually fail............

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm gonna try and fix it sooner rather than latter. It's loud enough that I can't hear the engine over the Transmission noise. I'll let you know how it turns out

so i just got finished pulling the tranny. Throw out bearing is good clutch is good and the in put shaft bearing is a little loose. The last owner had installed a clutch http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/images/smilies/censored.gif and forgot to bolt up the bell housing correctly. there were only 2 bolts in it and they were half way out and loose. so the tranny was flopping on the bell housing creating a bunch of stress on the input shaft. there is a lot of play in the input shaft. At the end of the shaft i can move it 1/4 inch. im hoping that i will just have to rebuild the Transmission and not replace any of the shafts or gears. i found 4 used transmissions that are about 3 hours from me. The guy said that they should be good but he is not 100% sure. For 175 should i just buy a used one or rebuild the old one?

so i just got finished pulling the tranny. Throw out bearing is good clutch is good and the in put shaft bearing is a little loose. The last owner had installed a clutch http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/images/smilies/censored.gif and forgot to bolt up the bell housing correctly. there were only 2 bolts in it and they were half way out and loose. so the tranny was flopping on the bell housing creating a bunch of stress on the input shaft. there is a lot of play in the input shaft. At the end of the shaft i can move it 1/4 inch. im hoping that i will just have to rebuild the Transmission and not replace any of the shafts or gears. i found 4 used transmissions that are about 3 hours from me. The guy said that they should be good but he is not 100% sure. For 175 should i just buy a used one or rebuild the old one?

:)Josh,
I would pull yours apart and see what you have........If it is only the front input shaft bearing that's an easy fix.......How does the front input shaft clutch splines look any wear there? That should have a roller bearing into the case and then needle bearings to the main shaft.
Anything you buy used could have problems also, if you get inside yours and there is a lot of damage then take a look at one of those used one's.

The gearing and synchro seem to be in good shape. I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and clean it and tear it down. The oil was milky coming out of it.

The gearing and synchro seem to be in good shape. I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and clean it and tear it down. The oil was milky coming out of it.

:)Hard to tell from the pictures but at the very least that input shaft looks bad.............take it in a see what they say.

The input bearing is all pitted out on the inner race. The inside bore on the input shaft appears to be in good shape. So I think I'm gonna reuse it. What do you guys think? And while I was getting the input shaft out needle bearings went everywhere. So a full rebuild is in order. Transparts has a kit for 93.50 on eBay any opinions on their kit? I comes with new synchros. Or I can pick one up from autozone. I think they are omix Ada? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

So I ordered the kit from transparts off of eBay. It is a good kit. It came with needle bearings, synchros, seals and nachi input and output bearings. I ended up replacing the needle bearings on the secondary shaft and leaving the main shaft alone. I replaced the input and output bearings along with the throw out bearing and the pilot bushing on the flywheel. It's all back together with the correct amount of bolts. And it's running with no sound from the tranny or Transfer Case . I ended up using penzoil synchromesh in the case.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom