T5 trans fluid what to get.

T5 trans fluid what to get.

Shaunman1979

Jeeper
Thanks
Okay this is probably a no brainer for everone but the last T-5 I played with was in a mustang and I was running DextronIII and this Transmission was deff a gear oil I dumped out.

Okay so my question in the Haynes manual I have it has proper gear oil weight listed for all the trannys but for the T-5 it says to use "jeep Transmission Fluid" So what weight is going to be sufficient for the jeep T-5 ? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Side question, Do you find it easier to install Transmission and Tcase as a whole unit or install them seperatly? (T-5 /Dana 300 )

The T-5 uses automatic Transmission fluid. Dexron is fine.
As for replacing the tranny and T case. I do them one at a time. It's easier and lighter that way.
I had a 1982 CJ7 with a 65 lb. T-5 Transmission and replaced it with a 165 lb T-18 . The last thing wanted was another 80 lbs hanging off the back of the tranny while trying to line it up.

I'll see if I can find the article, but AT fluid isnt the fluid of choice anymore. It was quickly discovered that AT fluid didnt work well in the T-5

T-5 and T-4 Transmission fluid info
I've seen alot information on what you're suppose to use and not suppose to use in our T-4 and T-5 transmissions. Everything from gear oil, ATF, engine oil and combinations of gear oil and engine oil. Maybe the following links will help. Both say use 70W gear oil with the T-4 and T-5 used in our Jeeps. Our CJ's used the non world class transmission. The next generation (world class) T-5 's used ATF.

Quote from Modern Drivetrain: http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm "One last piece of important information. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF oil and NOT heavy gear oil or Redline MTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil. We recommend high quality Synthetic oil as it lasts a long time and over a larger operating temperature. It is important to change the oil in your Transmission based on how you use the vehicle. If the vehicle is your daily driver then changing the oil every two to three years is fine. However, if the Transmission sees regular track duty and pushed hard, then once or twice a year is in order. When we rebuild transmissions, we can tell when the oil has been changed often as the parts are much cleaner with less over all wear. There is no filter inside the manual Transmission only a magnet at the bottom to pick up the metallic particles in the oil, the only metallic parts in a Transmission is the gears or bearings. Oil is cheap, transmissions are not!"

Quote from Hemmings Motor News article: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/05/01/hmn_feature21.html "The most important difference between the non-world class and the world-class transmissions is the torque rating. Later is better (or the higher the tag number). For example, 1983-'89 Mustang units, both world class and non-world class, were rated at 265-ft.lbs. of torque. Meanwhile, 1990-'93s were rated at 300-ft.lbs. and the 1993-'96 Cobra "Z-Spec" T-5 was rated at 330-ft.lbs. of torque. Another important difference between a WC and an NWC is the type of hydraulic fluid you fill them with. Early non-world class transmissions used 70-weight gear oil, where all the world class assemblies used a much thinner Dexron/Mercon Transmission fluid because the needle bearings need a more viscous oil for lubrication."

Thank You

HoudiniView Public ProfileFind More Posts by HoudiniDonate To Me

EDIT: Removed dead images - CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom