tach install difficulty?

tach install difficulty?

robert1973

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ7
I am not so mechanically knowledgeable. But i'm trying to find little projects to do on the cj to learn, was thinking of putting a tach in of some sorts, is this a relatively easy thing to try, i searched the forrum for write ups but didn't come up with anything good.
was thinking along lines of tach like this on: Auto Meter 2891 Auto Meter Z-Series Gauges

it's easy to install. It comes with instructions but basically it gets its signal from the coil. Its easy to wire up.
Then you have a button to set it for the number of cylinders your engine has.
I think a tach is very nice to have. I also have one like this that mounts on the steering column so it's front and center.

Cool, Think i'll run to jegs this week at lunch and get that tach. I'll give it a try on the install next weekend. I bought a new weber carb and was thinking i'd like to have the tach before trying that install(with a mechanic friend watchingBTW) Thanks for the motivation:chug:

Like above 1= tach signal 1= power 1= ground and last 1= light. 4 wires.:chug: Very easy to do, but remember any wires going through the fire wall should have some type of sheilding to prevent rubbing through the casing of the wires. Dont want to burn nothing down or ground it out. Just my 2cents

its easy to install heres a pic of mine. its a sunpro.

Has anybody ever found a tack that is the right size to replace the stock in dash tachometer??

I remember seeing "Sun" had a tach that was flush mounted back in the day. Instead of a rotary sweep, it moved from left to right, but that was back in the early 80's. Could check their website to see if they still manufacture this one. The only reason this one comes to mind is that there is an Golden Eagle for sale locally and it has one in it in the factory location and it appears not to have been cut to fit.

My jeep did not come with a factory tach but I wanted one in the stock location in the dash I like to keep the factory look. I bought a factory replacement tach from Rugged Ridge it was very easy to install just cut a 2 7/8 in hole in the dash with a hole saw and hook the green wire to the coil, black to ground, red to fuse box and white to the dash lights and that's it looks just like it came with it.

now to make things slightly more interesting install an MSD off road ECM and a TFI coil with a ford cap and rotor. I don't think the cap and rotor are a big deal but the capacitor discharge ignition can change things a bit.:cool:

now to make things slightly more interesting install an MSD off road ECM and a TFI coil with a ford cap and rotor. I don't think the cap and rotor are a big deal but the capacitor discharge ignition can change things a bit.:cool:
What would be the difference? It still reads off the coil correct? :confused:

actually, no. now it reads from a designated terminal from the ECM. But the confusion starts with the possibility that the original tachometer may need an adapter to make that signal readable to the tach. As I understand things connecting to the coil, and its considerably higher voltage and multiple spark, will terminate the tachometer in short order. This is one of the cases where I don't understand everything I know about the situation.:cool:

What would be the difference? It still reads off the coil correct? :confused:

I have a tach adapter for sale if you find you need one.
46942eda.png

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom