Tapping valve train 258 inline

Tapping valve train 258 inline

blkstx87

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 Renegade 258 6cyl
I have pulled the valve cover and inspected the rocker arms and checked the pushrods all are straight. One rocker had a little play and my friend said it was a collapsed lifter and it makes sense to me. Now the question I have is can I get the lifters out of the engine without removing the head ? Some say yes most say no, I want to ask the professionals ie Jeep lovers. Thanks for the help.

Pick up a lifter puller. I have done it several times over the years. Cheaper than a head gasket and much faster.

Thanks hopfully I can find one, is it a magnet type thing or does it attach to the lifter like in a slot?

You have to pull the head on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine to remove the lifters. If you only have one lifter with a slight bit of play, try running a can of engine cleaner throught it to see if it wont clean the lifter and free it up a bit. But pulling the head is a a pretty easy task on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Lay up some cold beers, a few tunes, and git to tinkering. :D

The head does need to come off to change the lifters. Never change just one, always replace them as a set. And most importanly, make sure to run through a proper breaking procedure or you WILL wipe out the cam shaft.

What do you suggest as a break in routine after I install the new lifters? Do I try and clean all the sludge off during this install or what do you suggest.

Clean everything you can. Install new lifter set, and it's a better than good idea to install new push rods and rockers at the same time. Coat the hell out of the lifters with assembly lube so the engine dosen't run dry on initial start up.

The new lifters will have brake in suggestions with them , I think. Or maybe thats just the cam.
straight 30 wt for 500 miles, don't let it just set and idle, something about the lifter not spinning as it should at brake in at idle.:cool:

The new lifters will have brake in suggestions with them , I think. Or maybe thats just the cam.
straight 30 wt for 500 miles, don't let it just set and idle, something about the lifter not spinning as it should at brake in at idle.:cool:

I think it's just the galling issue at start up without oil in the bores and fresh metal on metal. The lifters will be sitting on bare cam lobes and withing just a few revolutions will roast both the cam lobe and lifter flat. Not to mention the lifter bore getting galled up and siezing the lifter in the bore. A good healthy dose of assembly lube will cure all of that. The special oiling and tempering is for fresh engines mostly. The cylinder bores need to be broken in so the rings can seat properly. The rest is pretty much in an oil bath.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the guys with the info on the lifters. Installed new lifters push rods all is fine and runnig great .:chug:

you don't get off that easy. Did you pull the head or not??:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks to all the guys with the info on the lifters. Installed new lifters push rods all is fine and runnig great .:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom