Temp sensor location?

Temp sensor location?

jeepnewbe

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79' CJ7 304, 3 speed, 33 x 12.50 x 15, all stock with fiberglass tub
My CJ7 has had some aftermarket gauges installed by the PO. They all seem to work except the temp, which i found coiled up under the dash. I've done some reading and have found two different location at the thermostat and down on the bottom of the engine on passenger side. If these are correct locations I'm having a hard time finding where it goes.:confused: A little input and some pictures would be a great help. Also a link to previous post as I'm sure this has be covered before.

Pretty much all american V8 engines have a spot that the temp sender installs into the intake manifold. It should be towards the front and off to the drivers side.

Not sure if you have a mech. sender or electric.

If its mechanical you'll either have a coil of line with what looks like a spring/metal wrapped around it or sometimes is just a black line/hose and then at the end it should have a brass fitting and the sender protrudes through it. If its electric it should be a single wire and generally a 90* boot type connector. You'll just have to get the sender.

Sometimes you have to get a fitting that installs into the intake and it reduces the size so that the fitting with your sender will work. You can get them from Summit, local parts store or sometimes Lowes/Home depot. You'll probably have some coolant come out when you pull the fitting so Id drain a little from you rad first so as not to make a mess. Cool thing is you can then refill slowly with the sender out and stop just before the coolant starts coming out; that way you already have most of the air out of the system. Use pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads of the sender.

Ive never seen anything down on the pass. side?

Also, the one on top of the t stat isnt ideal because it won't really show actual coolant temp unless the tstat is open.

The one on the front of the intake toward drivers side is the best bet.

EDIT: so I just went and looked at mine which I just pulled and the pass. side is up against the wall :(

I actually don't have the spot on the intake I spoke about previously and I don't even remember unhooking my temp sender. Can you post a picture of the spot on the pass. side? Usually they'll be in the cylinder head if its not in the intake.

Last edited:
There's no temperature port on the block. The only thing that gets read from the block is the oil pressure sending unit on the passenger side.

Any water temperature is going to be read from the manifold. On my Edelbrock manifold, it's at the forward position between #1 and #2. I cant remember if it was in the forward or aft location on my stock cast iron intake...but it was there.

I bet the PO snipped the wire off at the sensor :rolleyes:

I believe it an original AMC 304 with no aftermarket parts. The gauge I have is newer one with a electric sensor. After looking at it I think it is missing something as I don't see how it will keep the sensor in and seal up from leaking:confused:. It could be the old mechanical sensor nut as it looks used. After I find the location I'm sure it will be obvious on what i need. Please check out the pics and let me know what you think.

I believe it an original AMC 304 with no aftermarket parts. The gauge I have is newer one with a electric sensor. After looking at it I think it is missing something as I don't see how it will keep the sensor in and seal up from leaking:confused:. It could be the old mechanical sensor nut as it looks used. After I find the location I'm sure it will be obvious on what i need. Please check out the pics and let me know what you think.
Mechanical sender. It will screw down onto the port...when you find it...with the brass fitting closest to you finger.
How about a picture of your intake manifold...;)

It goes into your thermostat housing. That is not stock, your stock gauge is electric and goes into the intake

Yep, tstat housing is where the stock location is on a v8...

Really? It wasn't mechanical was it? My AMC 304 and 360 had it in the intake, but not sure if either motor came from a CJ, I know the 360 didn't. Anyone have a pic? Just curious.

On my AMC 304 there is an adapter with vacuum hoses coming off it in the Tstat housing; so its a temp operated valve that directs vacuum somewhere at a certain temp I guess.

You could put the sender there but again, it won't show actual coolant temp unless your tstat is open. There is the possible chance of a stuck tstat and you might not see the full temp that the coolant is at.

Hey so I just went back out and looked at mine and I forgot I pulled the electric sender for some reason.

The sender was really small...like 1/4 pipe. Thats probably why the po didnt install the sender.

Take a look on the drivers side front of the intake about 1 inch or so off to the left of the tstat housing.

Finding a reducer is easy but you need to step up a size or two which may be a little harder to find---unless your intake is different than mine. That sender may not even fit into the port in the intake. It would be questionable on mine.

If the intake were off the easiest thing would be to drill it out.

If you don't have an aluminum intake and 4 bbl this is a great excuse to piss away 5-600 bucks.

The easiest thing would be to order an electric gauge and sender.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom