TH400 and 232

TH400 and 232

PCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Hello, I just bought a 1976 CJ7 and I already know I have some issues to resolve. My CJ has a AMC 304 , GM Turbo 400 , and a QT Transfer Case . I have a few questions and hope someone can help:

1) I have a CJ5 (for parts) with a AMC 232 i6 , four speed, and a Dana 300 . I wanted to convert my CJ7 from a AMC 304 to the rebuilt AMC 232 i6 , but want to keep the automatic GM Turbo 400 and QT. What kind of modifications need to be done in order to make this happen? Does the GM Turbo 400 Bolt right up to the AMC 232 i6 ? Would I have to get different drive lines? Can I keep everything in the motor compartment and use it for the AMC 232 i6 ?

2) When I went to test the 4WD out on the QT I flipped the switch and the emergency drive light came on, but when I turned it off the light stayed on for a long time and wouldn't turn off. Is this normal? I now hear a vacuum sound all the time, but the light finally went off? Do they make a rebuild kit for the QT?

3) The frame that extends past the body on the front of the vehicle is showing some cracks across the top and on the bottom. How should I go about repairing this issue? I have the heavy duty bracket and I am getting the brace and will place it on when I get the crack repaired, but I just don't know how to go about repairing the cracks on the frame.

Input would be greatly appreciative and thank you in advance for all your help.

I dont know anything about compatibility with the QT or its operation.

For cracks you can drill a hole at each end of it to terminate the crack and then gusset or reinforce the area somehow. Mine was cracked where the frame is boxed already so I just welded the cracks up and then reinforced both side of the frame with some 1/4" plate.

Hello, I just bought a 1976 CJ7 and I already know I have some issues to resolve. My CJ has a AMC 304 , GM Turbo 400 , and a QT Transfer Case . I have a few questions and hope someone can help:

1) I have a CJ5 (for parts) with a AMC 232 i6 , four speed, and a Dana 300 . I wanted to convert my CJ7 from a AMC 304 to the rebuilt AMC 232 i6 , but want to keep the automatic GM Turbo 400 and QT. What kind of modifications need to be done in order to make this happen? Does the GM Turbo 400 Bolt right up to the AMC 232 i6 ? Would I have to get different drive lines? Can I keep everything in the motor compartment and use it for the AMC 232 i6 ?

Get the correct motor mounts. The AMC 232 i6 will bolt to any tranny that had a AMC 304 originally attached to it. You will probably need to get the torque convertor re-balanced to AMC 232 i6 specs as at least the V8 AMC's are externally balanced and it must match

2) When I went to test the 4WD out on the QT I flipped the switch and the emergency drive light came on, but when I turned it off the light stayed on for a long time and wouldn't turn off. Is this normal? I now hear a vacuum sound all the time, but the light finally went off? Do they make a rebuild kit for the QT?
You can rebuild a Q/T but some report that parts are getting scarce. This was a early AWD system that was abandoned after a few years and that was over 30 years ago. It has its fans but it also has those who despise them. The light and hissing issues you describe are common and are vacuum related. The first thing to do is to trace down every vacuum line and replace it and see if that takes care of the problem. The folks over at International Full Size Jeep Association seem to deal with a lot more Q-tracs as they were common in FSJ's in the late '70's.

3) The frame that extends past the body on the front of the vehicle is showing some cracks across the top and on the bottom. How should I go about repairing this issue? I have the heavy duty bracket and I am getting the brace and will place it on when I get the crack repaired, but I just don't know how to go about repairing the cracks on the frame.

A common fix on these frames is to either box the bad part in with metal or weld metal reinforcement plates that extend from good metal on each end and over the bad part.

Input would be greatly appreciative and thank you in advance for all your help.

I hope that helps some.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom