The CJ-6

The CJ-6

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
The CJ-6, A Longer CJ5

cj-6_half_top_metal.jpg
_346209.jpg

The Cj-6 model was offered to civilians from 1955 (sold as a 1966 model) up until 1981. Basically a longer version of the CJ5, the Cj-6 had its wheelbase stretched to 101 inches. In 1972 3 more inches of wheelbase were added bringing the total to 104 , the longest for a Cj model. Here you see an early half cab edition along with Lloyd Allisons modified full soft top version.

Military, Workman-like Roots

154_0901_08_z_military_jeep_history_m170.jpg
04kvillej.jpg
04kvillei.jpg
1954_m170_willys_jeep_10866_b.jpg

griffithcj6400.jpg
fire64cj6.jpg

fire59cj6rear.jpg
chardon3367sml__cj3bpage.jpg

The CJ-6 was based off the M-170 which was already at work in the military in 1953. The M-170 had some very noticeable differences. It was often used as a field ambulance and had a larger "U" shaped passenger door opening making it easier to transport up to 4 wounded seviceman. They also had the military style headlights that could be turned around in the grill to illuminate the engine compartment.

The CJ-6 never enjoyed the fanfare of it smaller wheelbased counterpart the CJ5. However its Jeep capability along with its increased capacity made it a favorite of fire companys along with border patrol. Photo credits: Jp magazine , vintagemilitarytrucks.com ,caftulsa.org, and The 3bpage.com

Engines
With the CJ-6 being produced from 1955 all the way through to 1981 it ran the gamut of Jeep engines.

Photo credits : 3bpage.com, Jpmagazine.com, bringatrailer.com, vintagemilitaryjeeps.com and member Blkstx 87 258 engine picture.

Drivetrain

As with the engines there were a number of different transmissions used in the Cj-6. The three speeds offered were the T-90 , T-14 , T-15 and the T-150. 4 speeds were the the T-98 , T-18 and T-176. In 1976 the Th-400 automatic was introduced. More information on these and other Jeep transmissions can be found here:

Drive-train Section: Transmissions:With all the different engine and transmission combinations an 4 different transfer cases as well. The Dana 18 , Dana 20 and Dana 300 found their way behind manual transmission models. The Borg Warner Quadra Trac unit backed up the Th-400 automatic. More information on these transfer cases can be found here:

Transfer Cases

With an almost 30 year production run , there were also quite a few axles under the Cj-6. Out front the Cj-6 used the Dana 25, Dana 27 and the Dana 30. The Dana 44 and AMC Corprate 20 were the axles of choice for the rear. More information on these axles can be found by clicking each of their links.

Tops of the time

meyers_half_cab.jpg
cj6_soft_top.jpg
1975_cj-6_meyers_top.jpg

my-first-save-a-willys-project-1961-cj6-21230832.jpg

Pictured here are a few of the top options offered over the 31 year production run. First is a Myers 1/2 cab , a Whitco full soft top , a Myers full hard top and the last is a Koenig full hardtop. Many other soft tops were offered by the aftermarket throughout the production run. Photo credits: Boyink!.com , vintagemilitaryjeep.com and fortheloveofjeeps.com
Enthusiasts
_17020.jpg

You could use your Cj-6 as a workhouse around the ranch as you see
former President Ronald Reagan doing here in this photo from Raysjeeps.net

_19668.jpg
iq_800_turbotville_auto_museum.jpg
Do you envision a tasteful resto-mod like member @DrumDawg s green
CJ-6? Or a nice red version like the this one pictured from the Turbotville
Auto Museum?

_34437.jpg

_444805.jpg

However you picture your Cj-6 , like this clean lifted white version from
motortopia.com or this eye catching maroon colored wheeler from
JPmagazine.com you can bet your Jeep will bring a smile to your face.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks