the dreaded locker ??????

the dreaded locker ??????

bobby0872r

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj5 AMC 304
Well i have a Dana 30 what lunch box locker.......lock right or true track...... im not wanting a selectable... oh i guess tire size would be nice to add 36" supper swampers and will be adding 4.56 gears as well :chug:

Last edited:
A locked Dana 30 with 36 in swampers and super low gears. Good luck on keeping it in one piece.

It all depends on you CJ and where you go.

I never see ice or snow so I can easily get by with Detroits in the front and the rear. In snow - Detroits can be a major PITA!

that tj of my friends in my pics has a detroit in the rear he had a hard time setting it up but i hear great things about the aussie lockers. i just want one in the front for now and i'm in ga to so i don't see that much snow. sorry for hijacking the thread but its all relevant to your question

The carrier shouldn't make setting up a gear any more or less difficult from one brand to another (unless there was a manufacturing defect). I've seen strange things though... :)

Any lunch box is going to be weaker because it uses the stock carrier.
A detroit is stronger as it is the carrier.

A locked Dana 30 with 36 in swampers and super low gears. Good luck on keeping it in one piece.
The 3.54 gears and the T-150 just isnt working with the tires i have on it its too high geared.... if i kill it i will have to upgrade...What axle do yall recommend im more worried about the T-150 tranny... I am not crawling on rocks im mostly in the mud...im just learning all this jeep stuff so thank yall for the help and info:booze:

I've heard good things about lock rite but not for a daily driver.

The T-150 other than being geared tall is a stout tranny, it's all gears and has a cast iron case, other than fubaring synchro's you should be good.

Take a look at the pic's in my gallery, I had my T-150 torn apart for a rebuild, and was basically just all synchro's.

I've heard good things about lock rite but not for a daily driver.

The T-150 other than being geared tall is a stout tranny, it's all gears and has a cast iron case, other than fubaring synchro's you should be good.

Take a look at the pic's in my gallery, I had my T-150 torn apart for a rebuild, and was basically just all synchro's.
So my weak point is the Dana 30 is there any thing i can do to beef that up or should i just upgrade it when i can

yeh, we call dana 30s "lil snappers" in my circle of friends. the max tire size i recomend a with stock set up is 33. you should think about 3/4 or possibly 1ton axles if you want to run with the big dawgs!!! nothin worse then your axle exploding and being stuck to do a repair in a foot of mud.

ok about the first question, a truetrack is not a locker, it is a Limited slip
and a lockrite will not handle those tires in a Dana 30 .
However if you take it slowly, which you arenot going to do in the mud, 35 inch tires will work on a Dana 30 .
Personally I never run over 33s on a d 30 axle and I love the Dana 30 , it is a great axle that holds up well. It also has great clearence under the pumpkin. I live in SoCal whre we do rocks on a daily basis and the majority of the Jeep out here are running d30s up front. I would say a significant number of those are running 35s without issues.

True and thats what hes going to be using in the mud. With that setup in mud your Dana 30 will be the weak link and have a short life. You could upgrade to chromoly shafts but the carrier would still be an issue. Your best off looking for a more stout front axle then dumping money into a locked Dana 30 if deep mud is your game.
The majority of Dana 30 issues result from issues with the skinny pedal.

True and thats what hes going to be using in the mud. With that setup in mud your Dana 30 will be the weak link and have a short life. You could upgrade to chromoly shafts but the carrier would still be an issue. Your best off looking for a more stout front axle then dumping money into a locked Dana 30 if deep mud is your game.

I'm with Pete, I wouldn't spend a dime on the 30 if big tires and mud are your game. Start looking for a Dana 44 and spend your money on it.

i have a Dana 30 with 36's and a detroit truetrac. i've run it for 8 years no problems. you just don't throttle over everything.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom