Timing and fuel issues...72 CJ5 304

Timing and fuel issues...72 CJ5 304

kovacjr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
02 Silverado Z71 5.3

72 CJ5 304, 3sp, 2.5" lift, 33x12.5
Ok so I have a 72 CJ5 with a AMC 304 and 3sp. Previous Owner had installed a Edelbrock performer intake and carb along with a HEI Dist.

Issues I already fixed from him :(

Replaced damaged PCV grommet and PCV and routed to proper port on carb. Removed it from the Power Brake port. For now its capped off until I get a plug.

Vaccume Advance was connected to full port, conected to ported vaccume instead and capped off.

Dist cap plug has broken clip so I taped it in nice and tight. Will have to replace later. Looks to be still routed through the resistor on the firewall, will look into that or replace with a relay from the battery.

Idle mixture was very rich along with choke not properly adjusted.

Reset idle from 1200 or so back down to 780-800.

I threw on a timing light and it seems to be jumping all over the place???? There is a definate miss on both banks and you can feel it in the exhaust being a true dual. Need to now track tomorrow hopefully.

Also the carb is flooding after you shut the engine off. Always hard starting when hot. I can actually hear fuel coming through like a gurgling sound. I will take out the top cover and check the rods and jets. Change out the fuel filter and do some cleaning up on the fuel lines too. Will have to check to see if the steel line is not too close to the headders on the driver side. Is there something else I should look for?

It sounds to me like you may have some vacuum issues. I would redo the hoses and make sure all connections are tight and proper before moving forward with tuning. This would include making sure the CTOs are functioning properly if you got them. (don’t remember about the 1972 AMC V8) After that I would completely make sure the distributor and related electronics are right. Take a look at this sight for some tips:

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/jeep05.html

Then move forward to the potential cab issues

first i'd get that hei distributor its full voltage by taking that resistor out. it (the hei) can handle 12-14 volts, your normal running voltage is usually around 13.5 that'll help it considerably. since you retuned the carb have you checked your spark plugs? with it running that rich you may have a couple of em gas fouled. a quick/easy way to check for vacuum leaks is to take and spray carb cleaner around all of the lines and carb while its running, if it wants to die, or runs rougher you have a problem.

you have an mc 2100 on there right? i'm not for sure what to tell you about it flooding after turning it off because mine does this too and i haven't figured it out yet. i think the carb is a pos on mine, it'll be gettin replaced soon. i've built the dang thing twice and its still doesn't run great.

Yesterday I took and repositioned the dist so there is actually movement for timing. I found TDC compression stroke and lined up the mark with the rotor for #1. New plugs and timed for Idle at about 4 deg.

The old plugs were very white and chalky. except #7 was a little black but dry.

The Carb is a edelbrock 1406 4barrel. I think my issue was that the metal fuel lines were run too close to the engine for too long and when hot it may of been pressuring the fuel line and pushing past the needle. I installed a pressure gauge so I can monitor it when hot and replaced a length with new rubber line. Running is 3-4 psi but have not yet took it out yet for a drive to get to full temp for a while yet.

As for vac lines it is new and just from the carb to the dist via the ported port. There is a orignal CTO but it is disconnected and unused.

Today I am going to rewire the 12+ to the dist via a relay and see how they changes. I also gapped the new plugs to the recommended .050" with the HEI

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom