Timing

6 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).

this is a much harder question than I would have thought , The factory service manual tells you to check the emissions label in the engine compartment, I am guessing you no longer have one. Haynes is only giving the timing up to 79 in a book that is supposed to be good up to 89. For what it is worth the timing on a 79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l two barrel with manual Transmission is 6-8 degrees BTDC and the auto is 8-10 BTDC. I am pretty sure I am running my 81 J-10 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l manual two barrel at about 8degrees BTDC.

8 BTDC at sea level, add about a degree for every 1000 ft above that. Nebraska is probably somewhere around 1500-2000 ft depending where you're at.

Thanks guys, you wouldnt believe how far off it was, cant believe it was running. Exlpains the loss of power. I still have a wobble at 35-45mph under load, it goes away when coasting. It feels like a miss and doesnt appear to be in the drivetrain. Basically developed this overnight?

Maybe the hold down wasn't tight. In any case, glad to hear you solved your problem.
Paul

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom