Jeepsrule

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7 Laredo (no modifications)
(straight -6) 258. Engine is original.
no major changes except tune up stuff
Manual - 5 speed (4x4)
The short version of the long story... I believe I added to much oil to my CJ7 jeep.

I thought the oil was empty after I had started it after a long time sitting so I added 5 quarts.... I then check the dipstick saw it was over full and waited two weeks ( I never started the engine). Today I just drained the oil and added three quarts.

At the same time replace the bypass hose because it started leaking.

Lastly added new spark plugs gapped at .35

Started the engine right up and ran around to the front of the jeep and saw lot of smoke... quickly turned the engine off and disconnected the battery.

The smoke lasted about 10 to 15 minutes before it stopped. Smoke was coming up underneath the carborator. I didn't see any leaks..

Engine sounded really good when I started it. I believe I saw white smoke also coming out of the exaust pipe.

Currently afraid to start again... thinking oil is in the exhaust system??? or something else I haven't thought about.

anyone seen this before?

So...according to the dipstick, how much oil is in it now? :confused:

Over filling usually isn't a problem other than the white smoke from the engine compartment and mess. But like Jim said, check the dipstick and either drain or fill as necessary. White smoke from the exhaust is a different story.

Side note: Don't over fill an auto-Transmission . That isn't ok.

What they ^^^ said and did it run ok when parked? I have had that problem a couple times, after I flipped it backed onto all four wheels.:D But it went away after a couple minutes and I kept chugging along.

It is a mathematical story problem figuring out how much oil you have now.:D Also remember the exhaust manifold is under the carb, if there is any moister or oil then it will smoke. Mine used to leak from the valve cover down and smoke when it sat for long periods. Check for contamination on the manifold.

It is my experience that white smoke is water and black smoke is oil. And the water could just be condensate in the exhaust that will go away after you are warm. I don't think it is actually possible to over fill the oil accidentally. It would require several quarts to have any affect on the drive train.
Start it and let it warm up and check it for smoke.:cool:

Don't mean to argue. Just adding my experience.

White smoke that dissipates almost instantly is water.
White smoke that smells and lingers is oil.
Black smoke is fuel.
Rainbow smoke is all of the above. :p

To add my .02 to this post I would suggest changing the oil and filter to get a fresh start. I don't think you can get a .35 gap from a spark plug, so I assume you ment .035". Check and see if that white smoke was oil coming from the valve cover to the exaust manifold or maybe it was just water, and check for burn marks on the wiring or anything else that could have smoked. Which bypass hose did you replace? I'm sure everything was O.K. before you parked it.

your polite dissension is much appreciated.
I think I can agree with you.:cool:

If anybody has rainbow smoke I would love to see videos.:D

Don't mean to argue. Just adding my experience.

White smoke that dissipates almost instantly is water.
White smoke that smells and lingers is oil.
Black smoke is fuel.
Rainbow smoke is all of the above. :p

Thanks everyone! .... I waited a day and started the jeep right up.. it smoked for a 5 minutes then stopped. The engine runs well.
Also only adding three quarts wasn't enough. The dipstick was very low. Going to add more oil until it is in the correct range.

Thanks everyone! .... I waited a day and started the jeep right up.. it smoked for a 5 minutes then stopped. The engine runs well.
Also only adding three quarts wasn't enough. The dipstick was very low. Going to add more oil until it is in the correct range.

Well, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's only hold 5 quarts so you've got to be getting close. With only 3 quarts in it you may or may not see it on the dipstick, no oil on the dipstick means you're at least 2 quarts low.

your polite dissension is much appreciated.
I think I can agree with you.:cool:

If anybody has rainbow smoke I would love to see videos.:D

Them damn rainbows are never a good sign.

It's bad when they are in the water but in that case it is probably just before flames. :eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom