Transfer case identification? Where to get longer shifter lever?

Transfer case identification? Where to get longer shifter lever?

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hi fellow cj jeepers...

So, I don't like how short my t-case shifter is... I've posted in other threads asking which tcase I have and I believe it has been decided that it is a Dana 20 from a fsj...

i REALLY hate how short the shifter is and am wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement with more bends too.. (It is almost up under the dash)

Here are some pics...

Please help a newb. ..:notworthy:

would pulling it off and heating it to bend it work for you?? I am guessing it is more a question of too far forward rather than too short. It is just a piece of cold rolled steel rod, cut the one you have and weld in a few inches ??

there is also the twin stick option.:cool:

Hi fellow cj jeepers...

So, I don't like how short my t-case shifter is... I've posted in other threads asking which tcase I have and I believe it has been decided that it is a Dana 20 from a fsj...

i REALLY hate how short the shifter is and am wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement with more bends too.. (It is almost up under the dash)

Here are some pics...

Please help a newb. ..:notworthy:

would pulling it off and heating it to bend it work for you?? I am guessing it is more a question of too far forward rather than too short. It is just a piece of cold rolled steel rod, cut the one you have and weld in a few inches ??

Thats going to be your best bet. IMO

:eek: I don't own a welder... I've never welded either...:bang: I have soldered electrical things though.. Is it like soldering?:)

Would you know how long the shifter sticks are for the twin stick option? I've looked on Novak's website and they look cool....

Ummm... This is a newb question: What is the difference between the Twin stick fsj version Transfer Case and the stock single stick? :wtf::eek:

Anyone have any good plans/directions/links/pics for a homebrew Dana 20 twin stick?

Um.. Unless I can make it out of wood or cardboard, :laugh: because I don't have welding skills...(nor do I own a welder-:D

It looks like you have the Dana 20 from a FSJ.. I know it was already stated. you should be able to find a shifter from a CJ that had a Dana 20 in it. That long bar and linkages are alot shorter. The main bar you can cut down but need the new shorter shift linkages. FSJ has some ridiculous spacers between the bell housing and Transmission so they had to make the linkage set up longer or else it would be behind the seat in a waggy or j truck. Ebay or google the parts. Also look for cheap used 20's from a CJ and just swap the parts over. alot of people think they are junk and weaker then a Dana 300 so they let em go cheap.

To answer the twin stick question.. the stock has 1 stick that engages both drive shafts to the same gear and leaves you with either 2 Hi, 4Hi, 4Lo and Neutral. IF you twin stick it you can operate each axle independently so you can now have 2Hi, 2Lo, 4Hi, 4Lo, plus have the options to do whats called front digs where you put the rear in N and front in either high or low and you can make the front axle turn a tighter corner. honestly unless your doing heavy duty rock crawling, or have for front end welded up you dont need to do a twin stick.

Ill check with my local forum, Im sure some one has a few Dana 20 's floating around and see if they will part with the shifter linkages for ya.

I think I will be buying a JB twin stick shifter soooooon for my CJ7 but it will have to be for a FSJ truck Dana 20 t-case... Looks like it (as well as my GM Turbo 400 Transmission ) are pulled from a full sized jeep vehicle.. :D

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! :chug:

If your going from single stick to twin stick, you will have to disassemble the Transfer Case to access the shift rails and the detents for the rails. The shift rails are a little bit different than the single stick shifter. I put a Don's Twin Stick kit in my Dana 20 , it needed disassembled. Don's was bought by Novack Conversions. I also extended the sticks about 6"( welded).I don't have experience with JB. If already twin sticked then you can just change out the shifters.

Last edited:
If your going from single stick to twin stick, you will have to disassemble the Transfer Case to access the shift rails and the detents for the rails. The shift rails are a little bit different than the single stick shifter. I put a Don's Twin Stick kit in my Dana 20 , it needed disassembled. Don's was bought by Novack Conversions. I also extended the sticks about 6"( welded).I don't have experience with JB. If already twin sticked then you can just change out the shifters.

I thought I don't have to take apart the T-Case? :eek::confused:
I may wait on that then... :dunno: I think I need to do some more research... :wtf:
Thanks for your suggestions...:notworthy:

MY input since you have Limited fab skills would be to find a used cj set up and bolt it on til you get more skills

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom