Transfer case?

Transfer case?

Shawn31

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 CJ5
I have just acquired a 72 CJ5 . However alot of mods have been done already.
The previous owner said it had a Dana 30 Transfer Case but when I google that the Dana 300 comes up. He said the shift pattern was
4L
4H
N
2H
Any idea what this might be? It has a single stick.
Also it has a sway bar. I'm gonna do a SOA but I was told the 72 didn't come with a sway bar. Was this possibly an add on? Will the link extensions for a 76 Cj work for my lift? Thanks

The Dana 30 is the front axle.
In '72 Jeep started to use the Dana 20 TCase. Before that CJ's had the Dana 18 TCase. In the '80s it was the Dana 300 .

Here's how you tell what you have.
The Dana 18 has an off-set rear output. If your rear differential is on the passenger side of the axle you have a Dana 18 TCase.

Your year indicates you should have a Dana 20 TCase. It looks similar to the Dana 300 TCase. I think the easiest way to tell the difference is the way the shift handles mount to the TCase. The Dana 20 has a tubular bar sticking out the front of the TCase like this:
TRANSMISSION%20DANA20%20TWINSTICK.jpg
The above TCase has an aftermarket twin shift lever kit but the tubular bar sticking out the front of the case is OEM. This bar is held on by 2 square head bolts.

A Dana 300 has 2 ears that hold the shift levers like this:
Part3Pic2Dana300.jpg
Here is another Dana 300
D300Twin02.gif

4L
4H
N
2H

Busa, How about that shift pattern though... That does not look correct to me. I haven't been out in my Jeep for a few weeks, but is it not normally on a Dana 20 :
4H
2H
N
4L

? :confused: Don't know if diff on 18 or 300... :notworthy:

:chug:

~ JR

Busa, How about that shift pattern though... That does not look correct to me. I haven't been out in my Jeep for a few weeks, but is it not normally on a Dana 20 :
4H
2H
N
4L

? :confused: Don't know if diff on 18 or 300... :notworthy:

~ JR

Shift pattern on the CJ Dana 20 is 4L (full forward to front), Neutral (back one), 2H, then 4H (full back)

Last edited:
most single sticks are
2h
4h
n
4l

I got under there this morning. It does have Dana and 300 stamped on the rear housing. Could he have told me the wrong shift pattern? Ive only run it at about 55mph with the stick all the way to the rear. It seems to do fine. I can't see if the front tires are under power because I don't have a front drive shaft yet. What would the shift pattern be a a single stick 300?

On my Dana 20 Transfer Case , I thought I had lost all 4wd, i.e. broken gear in the case. I took the cover off and tried moving it into 4low, and I found out that I had 4wd. So you might try removing the cover to see if it stopping you from going into 4wd.

This is what i thought my Dana 20 was... You guys were scaring me... Thought i needed to run home from work to re-aquaint my self with my baby lol :cool:

Now i only mentioed it as far as helping to id his t case by shift ... If this is the case, and he has Dana 300 as later stated, you should be able to tripple check actually in 2wd by jacking and securing rear wheels off ground, put in 2wd per
baja's correct Dana 300 shift pattern diagram, and look if front output shaft spins ( u said no front driveshaft right?) If not, 2wd. If ao... Not actually in 2wd.

You can also make sure 4 wd t case working by putting in 4h check should spin and then low. Should sping and slower in relation to motor rev sound.

Last edited:
Shawn-

So the question is where the Transfer Case bolts up to the Transmission do you have a round adaptor between the 2 cases? If so it most likely is a Dana 300 but if it has the “Texas” bolt pattern like at the Dana 20 and Spicer 18 it most likely is not a Dana 300 unless it is the rare 1980 Scout version of the Dana 300 . My Scout Dana 300 says Dana on the back but does not say 300.

I have no clue

ON my Dana 300 it is
4l
neutral
2h
4h
Mine also is a 4 speed T-176 and this pic shows auto. Were the auto and the manual t-cases differant, and why would this be, and if differant for auto Transmission would they be intrechangeable.

I tried searching for a while this morning about this post... I can not find anywhere that shows this factually enough to post.

The only thing I could find was this replacement shift nob, that does coincide with your particular pattern stated above... :confused:

I tried searching for a while this morning about this post... I can not find anywhere that shows this factually enough to post.

The only thing I could find was this replacement shift nob, that does coincide with your particular pattern stated above... :confused:
I just got done checking my fsm for 1984-1986 and in it this is how the shift patteren is :
4l :all the way forward
n :next back
2h :third back
4h :all the way back
Now this is for 84-86 for all cj and scrambler moldels and there was no meantion of differance between manule and auto Transmission . Unless older modles had a differant shift pattern but I wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened. :)

Last edited:
I just got done checking my fsm for 1984-1986 and in it this is how the shift patteren is :
4l :all the way forward
n :next back
2h :third back
4h :all the way back
Now this is for 84-86 for all cj and scrambler moldels and there was no meantion of differance between manule and auto Transmission . Unless older modles had a differant shift pattern but I wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened. :)
That shift pattern is correct for the Dana 300 . There was only one Dana 300 put into Jeeps, they are all the same regardless of manual or auto tranny.

Maybe this other shift pattern is from the scout Dana 300 . Just a guess.:confused:
Perhaps. All I know is none of the pictures posted indicate the correct shift pattern for the Jeep Dana 300 . 4-lo is all the way forward, 4-hi all the way back.

I found those on a site that sells repo stickers, and I cannot find pattern that is like you guys have
now all it would take to reverse that is to make the linkage in a pivot.
So, I found those pics, anyone find pics the other way on the web?

here is my source, it is the only pattern they show for a single stick Dana 300
maybe their labeling is wrong

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom