Transmission Advice

Transmission Advice

CDT540

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
258, 5 spd
I recently purchased a '83 CJ7 with the (SR4 ) 4 spd Transmission . It is going to need a rebuild sometime in the near future. It is the one with reverse to the left and up by 1st. Supposedly you are suppose to have to push down on the shifter to go into reverse but not on mine. It will go into either 1st or reverse just as easily. That can be a bit of a problem if you are not paying attention. The Jeep will be used for light duty only and as a second driver with little off-road use. My question is would it better to just rebuild what I have or replace it with one of the more desirable Transmission ? Budget is an issue so if there is no significant reason to upgrade for my use then rebuilding the SR4 seems like the cheapest option. If I were to replace it which Transmission is the easiest swap with the fewest additional parts (mounts, adapters, etc) needed? Thanks for any feedback...

Chris
'83 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 4 spd
Austin, TX

I don't think the SR4 was in the 83'. Probably a T-4 . Still light duty but if you are not going hard on it you can get by. I ran mine all the way up to 35's before swapping out. I ended up trashing two of them but it sounds ok for what you are doing.

Or you could look for a T-176 and go mid duty.

somone probably replaced either a T-4 or T-5 with that SR4 . the SR4 has reverse on the opposite side like you said it does. i would just get a used T-4 ,T-5 or SR4 to put in place of it. they will all interchange without any mods. i replaced my SR4 with a T-4 without any trouble. i have a good T-4 for sale if you are interested. i took it out of my jeep 2 weeks ago. i would sell it for $100 bucks if you pay the shipping. (shipping wouldnt be much for such a light tranny)

somone probably replaced either a T-4 or T-5 with that SR4 . the SR4 has reverse on the opposite side like you said it does. i would just get a used T-4 ,T-5 or SR4 to put in place of it. they will all interchange without any mods. i replaced my SR4 with a T-4 without any trouble. i have a good T-4 for sale if you are interested. i took it out of my jeep 2 weeks ago. i would sell it for $100 bucks if you pay the shipping. (shipping wouldnt be much for such a light tranny)

I think the answer to your question is fairly simple as you mentioned budget is a concern and you wont be off roading it much. If memory serves me correctly the SR4 is very similar to the T-4 /T-5 . which $100 plus shipping is a good deal. just remember that when you go swaping different type trannies out it gets expensive quick as you are dealing with tranny spline counts, Transfer Case bolting up drive shaft fitment and clutch issues. I ran a T-5 behind my 360 V8 in the mud just fine for awhile. I paid $700 to get it and traded in my old T-4 for the core :chug:

So a T-4 or a T-5 is just a direct swap? Just unbolt the SR4 and bolt up the T-4 or T-5 ?

At this point I am thinking either rebuild my SR4 or if I want to make a change swap to the T-5 . Does not seem like there is enough difference between the SR4 and the T-4 . I don't think I want to pay to step up to a mid-duty Transmission . Thanks for the feedback.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom