Trans GM SM 420
First Gear ....... 7.05
Second Gear ... 3.57
Third Gear ...... 1.70
Fourth Gear ... Direct

Dana T-case (twin stick)

1970 Glass dune buggy. Short pan 1600
2008 Chevy HHR SS
Hello, looking to pick up my first jeep tomorrow I he inspection goes well. The PO tells me the Transmission will not engage in any gear so it will need looked at. He says it is a GM 490 4 speed but I can't find anything called a 490 from GM. Does anyone have recommendations if I have to replace it. Mostly street and light trail, some sand, etc. It is going to be towed behind the RV for day tripping while camping.

Hello, looking to pick up my first jeep tomorrow I he inspection goes well. The PO tells me the Transmission will not engage in any gear so it will need looked at. He says it is a GM 490 4 speed but I can't find anything called a 490 from GM. Does anyone have recommendations if I have to replace it. Mostly street and light trail, some sand, etc. It is going to be towed behind the RV for day tripping while camping.

:)Wait till you get it and know what you have......... There were several GM based 4-Speed granny low Truck transmissions that were adapted to the Early CJ-5s like the SM-420.SM-465,and the list goes on.
Most of these Truck Transmissions are Heavy duty and unless they have been abused are real hard to break........may be something like the shifter or a Fork inside that has been broken or bent..........anyone's guess?
Make sure you get a good deal.
:D:D:D:D

Thanks Tarry, so what would you consider a good deal? The body looks straight and clean only a little rust in the driver floor board but admittedly I have not inspected it yet. With no rust problems and a good running V6 what do you think would be a goo offer.

Thanks Tarry, so what would you consider a good deal? The body looks straight and clean only a little rust in the driver floor board but admittedly I have not inspected it yet. With no rust problems and a good running V6 what do you think would be a goo offer.

:)To many variables there for anyone to make that call but yourself.............do your homework and understand any and all the repairs needed.
Good news is your in California where there are plenty of rust free Jeeps that run. Look around , get acclimated.........
There is a nice Original 1966 CJ5 on Craigs list up the road from where you are.

Thanks again, good advice. I have been lurking on the boards for about a month trying to up my Jeep IQ.

We really like the 6, you see I have a 135 pound Great Dane that needs to fit in the back!

Thanks again, good advice. I have been lurking on the boards for about a month trying to up my Jeep IQ.

We really like the 6, you see I have a 135 pound Great Dane that needs to fit in the back!

:)No Problem..........Good Luck!

get the six
ok here in SoCal I would give around 4 gs for a 6 with no tranny working if it has a V6 in it and the body and frame are good
I am running a 70 sixer with a 225, best jeep engine ever as far as I am concerned
one great thing about a 6 id the length, you can put a 350 th in there with no problem
the factory tranny would have been a weak 3 speed they changed to a better tranny in 67
the t case is a D18, legendary strong

Thanks Baja, I am thinking right at 4 if everything else checks out. It does have the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 in it and everything I have read about it was good.

It also looks like they swapped the t- case, it has a twin stick but the sticks are towards the rear, closer to the seats, but there was a cutout up closer to the front for them too.

Once you get it it's forum policy that you post pictures within the first 24 hours or your banned... ;)

Last edited:
Nice, but those front seats got to go. I mean unless your have some really soft butt cheeks...

Yeah, that was the first thing the wife said. Corbeau has some nice ones but I have not done much research on seats yet.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom