Transmission rattle

Transmission rattle

kboucher

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 1983 CJ& with the T-5 and getting a rattle when shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. It then rattles in 4th and 5th.

Any reason why and help would be appreciated.

im curious cause mine does the same, mostly 4th and 5th, but mine needs an overhaul

Define rattle, is it the gear shifter shaking or is it something internal, and when does it occur.

im curious cause mine does the same, mostly 4th and 5th, but mine needs an overhaul

:)Wear , then excessive clearance will cause the rattling......That may be the case for both of you.........an overhaul.
You might try changing your lubrication to something that perhaps is a little heavier weight wise. There are some good synthetic oils and additives that I have used in Heavy class 8 trucks that work well to quite them down.

Of course that could be just a band-aid for the short term, May also be a little harder to shift when cold but may extend its overall life.
:D:D:D:D

Mine is a internal rattle and you hear it rattle when you let of the gas in 4th or 5th. Move into 3rd or under - nothing no sound. When I shift from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th it makes a sound like a throwout bearing and then is quite when i keep the gas on.

How much would a rebuild cost and can I get away with this kit for this problem?

:)K

A throw out bearing is easy to check...... first off you need some free-play at the top of the pedal so that when the clutch is out there is no mechanical pressure applied to it via the linkage or hydraulic system. Secondly as your driving down the road in high gear lightly put your foot on the clutch pedal and apply a small amount of pressure.......if there is no free play you will feel it and hear the bearing........likewise if your driving down the road and hear the noise apply light pressure on the clutch pedal and if the noise changes or goes away then it is the bearing.

You also mentioned that when your under power no noise.... but back off of power and it comes back.........that could be gear backlash in the Transmission or rear end or even the universal joints as a result of wear... Doing that in the higher gears is where the most load is on parts so the greater the strain.
Anything in that drive train that is worn can send noise up and through the drive train and make it sound like it's coming from the Transmission when it really is coming from somewhere else.
As far as parts are concerned, find out first whats causing the noise.

got under mine last night and noticed that the metal shield at the tcase yoke is loose? just spins and does make a rattle type noise? so i'm gonna try and find a way to secure it...see what happens

got under mine last night and noticed that the metal shield at the tcase yoke is loose? just spins and does make a rattle type noise? so i'm gonna try and find a way to secure it...see what happens

Dan
:)Good for you.......as mentioned before sometimes the noise is coming from different places...........If your talking about the round sheet metal disc attached to the yoke it sounds like a dust / dirt shield. Could have been hit our ruffed up by a prior installation. No real fix unless you take it off & try to straighten it or replace it..........

yes that shield....was able to JB weld the front one to the yoke when i did the tcase output seal...so probably try the same.

I had mine with a tranny guy yesterday and he it was fine. His opinion was the jeep is lifted 4" and the rear drive shaft is at a hugh angle which he thinks is killing the u-joints and causing the gears to rattle. I am going to a drive line guy and see about getting a CV put on.

I had mine with a tranny guy yesterday and he it was fine. His opinion was the jeep is lifted 4" and the rear drive shaft is at a hugh angle which he thinks is killing the u-joints and causing the gears to rattle. I am going to a drive line guy and see about getting a CV put on.

:)Well Good for you also.......like I said it takes a complete look at everything to perhaps see what is causing the problem or noise.......I big lift and angles will surely kill the U-joints............let us know how it turns out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom