Transmission rebuild....or just a clutch or shifter issue???

Transmission rebuild....or just a clutch or shifter issue???

Turtle71

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 T5
I wanted to finally take the Jeep for a drive to see how it behaves and what other issues we may need to address. I wasn't sure about the condition of the Transmission fluid, so i decided to do a drain and fill on the T-5 . I did alot of research on which fluid to use and came up with many answers. In the end I decided to go with 2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh that was recommended by several people who had great results, one of which was a guy who rebuilt many T5s as a business.

I have driven it previously, but only for about a half mile. Each time, I was able to from 1st through 4th at the most, given the short distance. This time I was able to drive it for a few miles. Shifting was pretty easy, but I suspected a worn throw out bearing based on a familiar noise I was hearing. On the way back, I was stopped at a light and when I started going forward in 1st, I heard a loud bang and it seemed to come out of gear.

Pulled over and was able to get it in 1st a few times and start to go forward, but it would either make a bang noise or grind. I was able to get it back home by starting out from 2nd gear. When I had it back in the driveway, I tried to use 1st and got the same results. I also noticed it was difficult at times to find reverse, but I would eventually find it and it would work fine.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any idea what may be involved??? Complete rebuild of the Transmission ? Or will I be lucky with a clutch related issue?? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

yep my T-5 did it would go into gear once it got going it would pop out of 1st
had it check out everything was fine but 1st gear was shot

I am absolutely no expert, but I can tell you this:

Bought and installed a used T-5 to replace my T-4 . Installation complete, Transmission shifts fine but not great....a few hics here and there.

I get bitten by the "read it on the internet Good Idea Fairy" and decide to try the Penzoil Synchromesh....

Drained the gear oil that was in it (GL-5) and filled it with Synchromesh. Drove it and it was TERRIBLE and getting worse every mile. Ended up almost un-shiftable after about 10 miles.

Immediately drained the Synchromesh and replaced it with GL-4 Gear Lube. Drove it for a bit and the shifting returned to the previous Good-but-not-great condition....

So that is what I think about Synchromesh in a CJ T-5 ....tested, FAILED.

(End of the story: Clutch linkage was old, worn, shot. Replaced with all new kit - bell crank, etc -- and HD heim joint linkage/pushrods -- shifts so much better that I don't even care about the little "his.")

Just my experience.

Cheers, :chug:
TrebleHook

You may have a problem with the 1st gear set, it also does the reverse gear which is located in the rear of the Transmission . Now I grenaded my T-5 using my jeep like a tractor (duh!!!). Any way I used to run gear oil guess what thats not good. The factory service manual says to use ATF Dexron II or better. I have been running that since the rebuild 5 years ok and have had no trouble with the gear box. I have about 40 k on it since the rebuild and I do a lot of dual driving with it (trails and street) I'm also not afraid to beat it a bit and it still holds up well with minum amount of wear.

I agree its definitely the 1st gear. I am able toget it into gear and move forward in 2nd, 3rd and 4th...and I can use reverse as well. Looks like I will be pulling the Transmission soon. Will have to take a look at the clutch while I am in there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom