truetrac detroit limited slip?

truetrac detroit limited slip?

wrangler rider

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
95 wrangler with 88 4.2 carbed with puguetoe(?) 5spd both fresh rebuilds, spring over, 3inch body, spring arched 2 inches and stiffened, 10 inches of total lift on 36inch tsls 8k mile marker winch, ect.
1969 dodge charger rt se 440, 727 torqueflite 3.55 suregrip with 8 3/4 axle, everyone is making her a headache for me but i love her 1000xs more then my jeep
2005 dodge 3500 cummins 6speed dually work truck, not mine
any good? no clutches to wear out, $400 vs $700 for a locker, lifetime no questions warrenty
my 95 wrangler isnt a daily driver but it sees the road miliage, but when it hits the trails i us it for atv trails, cutting trails, mud bogs, and hill cimbs, (When i can)
so is the truetrac any good?, i get into some hairy situations, i tow out my buddies and will be spining 35s
and how good are buckshot tires? or should i get something else?
thanks!

The TruTrac is a great LS diff... It is very capable.

And, as luck would have it - JP magazine just republished their five page article on everything you want to know about Jeep LS diffs! Check it out for an in depth review!

Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine - Jeep-CJ WEB Links

I have one in the front end on mine, It's the most aggresive LS out there.
You should be happpy with it, but it's not a locker, if you get a tire in the air it will spin only one tire. A little brake action will get it to turn both wheels though.

I have one in the front end on mine, It's the most aggresive LS out there.
You should be happpy with it, but it's not a locker, if you get a tire in the air it will spin only one tire. A little brake action will get it to turn both wheels though.

I agree as L/S go it's the best. Basically the same L/S as the H1 Hummer. Military tested tough.:eek:

Oh I almost forgot, Buckshot Mudders are good tires. Similar to skinny Super Swampers.

thanks yall so up and down of the LS?
and buckshots and 35inch? good or not?

a 200K mile 6cly and supposedly rebuilt autotrans out of a cherokkee stock Transfer Case and 3.11 gears

and according to the link that LS it isnt worth its weight in sugar sand

A LS works pretty well as long as you keep a little brake on to keep both wheels spinning. Just need to develop a good driving technique... :)

I'm personally a Locker guy, but if your forced to drive on ice regularly most people don't like to run a Automatic Locker.

a 200K mile 6cly and supposedly rebuilt autotrans out of a cherokkee stock Transfer Case and 3.11 gears

I've never scene a Jeep with 3.11 gears, but if they are 3.11's even 3.23 I would say 35" tires are to tall for any off-road use. More gear or less tire.

A LS works pretty well as long as you keep a little brake on to keep both wheels spinning. Just need to develop a good driving technique... :)
alright but i get into those axle hang ups where the front tire is in a hole and the rear is too but the other rear is still on the ground, and im usually with a rear in the air or close to it
i just dont want to spent 400 to get something that sometimes works, you know what i mean?

alright but i get into those axle hang ups where the front tire is in a hole and the rear is too but the other rear is still on the ground, and im usually with a rear in the air or close to it
i just dont want to spent 400 to get something that sometimes works, you know what i mean?
I've run "Detroit Lockers" front & rear with a twin stick Dana 300 for decades. They have always served me well.

im usually with a rear in the air or close to it
i just dont want to spent 400 to get something that sometimes works

Than you should probaly get a locker.

As longhorn said 3:23 gears and 35" tires are not a good combo, you should have at LEAST 4:10 nor better yet 4:88's.
That 6 isn't going to be able to spin 35's in the mud with 3:23's locked.

Why not look into a lunch box locker if you don't have a lot of money to spend.

Last edited:

When you put in your New Lockers would be the perfect time to put in some deeper gears to pull those new 35" Buckshot Mudders. "It's only money anyway".:laugh:

Well I had to dig my issue of JP out and read it. Are you sure you were reading the detroit truetrac and not the trac-lok. They seemed to think pretty highy of the truetrak from what I read.
I have no idea where you live but a auto locker in a jeep can be a pain in the butt to drive on hilly curvy roads. As it locks and unlocks it can send you all over the road.

If you want positive engagement of both axles - get a locker...

BTW - I don't think you stated what diff... On a 30 and 44 the carier is different once you hit 3.73 ish... If you get a carrier for that gear you'll be stuck with it - 3.73 and higher won't fit on it. :)

well my axles tag says 4.11 but the dealer says 3.11?? so im not sure,
i dont want todo lunch box because they explode (somewhat) lockrite, assi, and another one are all the same "junk" is what ive been told
i live in hellish florida
i think there dana 35s?
and they spoke highly of the truetrac until you get a wheel airborn and then it said not so good, which is common for me
but if i get in the 2 up and 2 down tire game can i press the brake and have it lock going up hill or atleast down hill? thats really what concerns me

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom