Unable to Get Into Gear

Unable to Get Into Gear

JeffWalden

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
2012 Grand Cherokee
Recently it's been more difficult to shift into gear, namely 1st and 2nd. I had to almost put all of my body weight into it to get the shifter into place, though no grinding. The last few rides though, trying to get into reverse has had grinding.

Then it got worse. Today, I can't seem to get into any gear except reverse (with grinding). When I did get it into reverse, didn't matter that I had the clutch pedal completely to the floor - the truck lurched backwards.

This is my first time working on a car with a clutch, so please excuse the ignorance here. Am I correct in assuming the best place to start here is going to be the clutch or the clutch cable? In my logic, if the clutch wasn't being engaged it makes sense that it was tough to get into gear. Even with the clutch pedal to the floor, it seems that the clutch wasn't disengaged which is why I lurched backwards.

Looking for the best place to start here. Let me know if I'm missing something obvious to report.

Thanks!

I think you are on the right track. With the engine off can you put it in gear? With it in gear and the clutch pressed does it move when you try and start it. You said it had a clutch cable I had a truck with a clutch cable and had the same problem and it was that the cable had become stretched I replaced the cable and it worked fine afterwards. Hope this helps.

Went outside to take another look and give it a try because it's driving me nuts. At the moment, it seems to be stuck in reverse. No amount of pushing on the shifting lever is going to move it out. Contrary to my original post, the clutch pedal seems to have be engaging/disengaging the clutch as I was able to let it out and move the truck backwards.

Attempting to change the other lever (4L N 2H 4H) into neutral is essentially just as useless as shifting gears. It seems to be stuck in 4 low.

What could be going on to get this whole thing jammed up? Completely at a loss right now.

So you said it's stuck in 4lo were you driving it on the pavement in 4wheel drive? If you were you may have it bound up. Do you have the hubs unlocked? Some times with mine after 4heeling I can't get it out of 4lo and have to unlock the hubs and back it up to get it to come out. But with the Transmission it sure sounds like a clutch issue.How much freeplay do you have at the top of your pedal?

Good suggestion, but highly doubt it's bound up from 4w. I was trying to get it into neutral and seemed to rather get it stuck in 4w. I had it out for a few trips on the pavement the last few days but not in 4w.

The pedal doesn't give me much resistance at all. I mean, it doesn't feel any different than it ever did but I can't feel any free space in the top relative to the bottom.

Let me ask it this way.... if there was an issue with the clutch or the clutch cable, would it make sense that I can't get it out of gear? It's my understanding that the clutch really needs to be disengaged to get it into or out of gear, but maybe I'm wrong. For the record, even with the engine shut off, I can't seem to shift out of reverse.

Good suggestion, but highly doubt it's bound up from 4w. I was trying to get it into neutral and seemed to rather get it stuck in 4w. I had it out for a few trips on the pavement the last few days but not in 4w.

The pedal doesn't give me much resistance at all. I mean, it doesn't feel any different than it ever did but I can't feel any free space in the top relative to the bottom.

Let me ask it this way.... if there was an issue with the clutch or the clutch cable, would it make sense that I can't get it out of gear? It's my understanding that the clutch really needs to be disengaged to get it into or out of gear, but maybe I'm wrong. For the record, even with the engine shut off, I can't seem to shift out of reverse.

:)You need to adjust the clutch.............It seems you do not have enough travel to fully disengage the clutch plate.........takes about a 1/2" +/- of movement at the throughout bearing to release the clutch plate. There should be adjustment left in the cable linkage.............when its all said and done you should have about 3/4"-1" of free travel at the top of the pedal.
Bad news if the clutch has been left un-adjusted for a period of time it could have been slipping. There is a possibility that the disc could be worn out and needs replacing................try to shorten the linkage and or cable length to the point that the clutch will release and still maintain the free play at the top of pedal.
:D:D:D:D

You are right the clutch does need to disengage inorder for you to be able to get it in and out of gear. You need to find out if you have a hydraulic or manual clutch I dont think it's cable. Sounds like it's not fully disengaging.

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to go play with the clutch when it's daylight again and see if I can't figure this out. Did I mention that this is the first clutch I've ever worked on? Should be fun to learn.

So in theory, if I can adjust the clutch and get it to a position where it's fully engaging/disengaging I should be able to shift this thing again? :)

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to go play with the clutch when it's daylight again and see if I can't figure this out. Did I mention that this is the first clutch I've ever worked on? Should be fun to learn.

So in theory, if I can adjust the clutch and get it to a position where it's fully engaging/disengaging I should be able to shift this thing again? :)
Yes. :) Good luck

:)In your case its all about disengaging..............getting it out of gear. Just keep in mind you want to shorten the overall length of the linkage............a 1/2" at a time.
:D:D:D:D

Sounds like a master or slave clutch not working. I had the same issue. Gears wear slipping and I learned to shift without using the clutch for like a month cuz I didn't have time to fix it. Once I did it worked just fine.

Just my two cents

You should have a hydraulic clutch. Check the level. May need bleeding. Worst case either could be leaking?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom