Trans Unable to remove Top Cover on T176

Trans Unable to remove Top Cover on T176
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 cj5, 258, T176, Dana 300, AMC20, D30
Hi all,
Currently. working on replacing top cover gasket and am unable to remove the cover.
Lifting the cover up about 3/4" shows that the rear fork is not lined up with the slot in the case. The fork is forward of the slot preventing the cover from being removed.
Based on this forum entry diagram, (Link)-> Trans - Need transmission help (T176) -< showing the three shift selector positions in relation to what gear it's in, my Transmission is in reverse.

I thought all I had to do was shift out of reverse, to third (or another gear) in order to move the fork so the top can be removed however I am unable to shift the Transmission to another gear.

The Transmission is out of the vehicle and I re-attached the shifter but am able to move to another position.

The Transmission worked fine before being removed. It was drained of fluid in preparation for the gasket/seal replacements.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I was able to move the last gate, per diagram to the neutral position and remove the cover. I used a large screw driver.

Solution
:welcome:
So sorry I missed this post but happy you were able to get your situation sorted.
I'll be sure to watch the new posts more closely... (I have been working on site software changes)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom