Unknown fuel part

Unknown fuel part

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
Dropped the fuel tank in my 79 AMC 304 project to clean the tank. On the rear drivers side frame, is this a fuel filter?...below in pic... also this project was missing plenty of stuff, carb,radiator distributor and more. The previous owner had no fuel return line . I have a 600 edelbrock on it now with one line from the fuel pump with a clear fuel filter. Do I need a fuel return to the tank? Right now I have a small bottle of fuel hooked up in the bumper front just to move around the yard .( You can see in the second pic) .Man she seems to go through some fuel pretty quick. You can see the bottle if you look closely..Am I fine just running with the single fuel line? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Efrenspictures068.jpg

Efrenspictures067.jpg

Last edited:
My first question would be how much junk was in the tank??
This can/filter whatever did not come from Toledo. I would bet lunch on that.
So perhaps the PO was making a valiant attempt at keeping :dung: out of the carb with a major sized fuel filter??
I would have to putt it if for no other reason that to confirm it was , in fact, a filter.
the return line is pretty much just for the original Carter carb, I don't think you will need it for the carb you are running. Do make sure the return line is sealed someplace to keep water and such out.
I hate to be the one to brake this to you but if you had been looking for an economical vehicle when you bought the Jeep, I hope you deal well with disappointment.:D My CJ5 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ,T-150 and 3.54 gears will get 12 MPG if I an going down hill with a tail wind and a brand new tune up. Some guys are tickled to get 10 and others are glad the odometer does not work.:cool:

That is an inline fuel filter for a fuel injected vehicle. It is designed to be run under pressure (fuel pump in the tank), not under suction (fuel pump on the engine).

Yea what CJ said.

IOPort51, The tank is pretty much mint. No rust at all. Just a typical cj gas tank. 15 gallon. This cj was sitting for a few years and still had gas in it so I 'm glad I dropped the tank. Thanks for the reply...(I'm hearing you on the gas mileage)....

That is an inline fuel filter for a fuel injected vehicle. It is designed to be run under pressure (fuel pump in the tank), not under suction (fuel pump on the engine).

I'm just guessing the last owner thought it was a big gas filter. Who knows. I'm getting rid of it.Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom