upgrading to YJ style front leaf springs for the width

upgrading to YJ style front leaf springs for the width

j0114

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 Laredo Black
The Jeep was totally gone thru, 124k original miles on body,
New Crate engine and Trans, Weber Carb, Interior replaced back to stock, Dana 44 Rear, Dana 35 Front, 2.5 " Suspension Lift 1" body 33-12.50 Tires on Mickey Thompson Wheels, New Dupont Paint
Ive heard good things about this improving the on road handling with this upgrade,
Can anyone give me some first hand account to if it is something pumped up to sell you some other suspension kit parts you dont need or does it have benefits,
I know alot of CJ kits incorporate this into their kits without upgrades etc,
I know OMe has a kit just for changing the front springs
Rubicon Express for example upgrades the CJ springs to the YJ style springs on all the CJ kits as far as I know,

Who has this mod and how has it affected the ride quality on and off road,
Im more looking for better on road handling but getting better off road would just be a plus

if anyone has suggestions to get better on road handling please share

Ive heard good things about this improving the on road handling with this upgrade,
Can anyone give me some first hand account to if it is something pumped up to sell you some other suspension kit parts you dont need or does it have benefits,
I know alot of CJ kits incorporate this into their kits without upgrades etc,
I know OMe has a kit just for changing the front springs
Rubicon Express for example upgrades the CJ springs to the YJ style springs on all the CJ kits as far as I know,

Who has this mod and how has it affected the ride quality on and off road,
Im more looking for better on road handling but getting better off road would just be a plus

if anyone has suggestions to get better on road handling please share

It's best to change all 4 springs on a CJ to keep the spring rates close as they age they soften up.
The YJ has wider front springs that most folks up grade to when they re-spring or lift, because the ride better. When I lifted my rig I used YJ springs & reversed the front spring putting the shackles in the rear. IMHO it tracks better that way.Mine tracks well enough for hands off at silly fast speeds in a CJ.;)

so on the front of ur CJ, you put the front springs in backwards and put the shackle in the rear of the spring did I understand you properly

I have all kinds of samurai tricks like that like YJ springs in the front and front samurai springs in the rear,
that kind of stuff can make a huge difference.

so how did u go about doing this,
I assume the shackes didnt just bolt up.
Did you have to fab something etc?

I have swapped to YJ springs also the actual swap is very easy if you dont dont do the shackle flip.....the front springs will bolt up to the frame hangers on the rear and for the front you will need YJ shackles and frame mounts and YJ spring plates(im having a brain fart as to their real name) :chug: I havent got to road test mine yet :(

I have swapped to YJ springs also the actual swap is very easy if you dont dont do the shackle flip.....the front springs will bolt up to the frame hangers on the rear and for the front you will need YJ shackles and frame mounts and YJ spring plates(im having a brain fart as to their real name) :chug: I havent got to road test mine yet :(

Vert could you get front end shackle hangers off a part out yj as well as spring plates? or do you need to buy the conversion ones online.

I just did this on my CJ (kinda)

if your going to run CJ srings on the front you can use CJ rear Spring hangers

18271.03 - Omix - Stock Rear Shackle End Suspension Spring Hanger For 1976-86 Jeep CJ : Tellico 4x4
I think you will have to remove the rivet that located the front hanger in position and bolt the rear in its place.

you will also need a set of 2.5" wide spring perches of your choosing and matching spring plates. The drivers side perch needs to be cut off and swapped with the new 2.5" wide one the passengers side Im not 100% sure about since its cast into the pumpkin.. you may be able to grind the 1/4 needed to get the spring to fit right or cut down the new perch to fit on the housing as needed.

Then you have to get the new springs. if they are YJ you can make a set of custom shackles (spring bushing bolt is bigger then hanger bushing) or get a set of CJ springs and every thing will bolt right up.

over all you should drop less then $100 for the hardware plus what ever the springs cost ya. I ended up outboarding mine for waggy axles but all the bolt holes lined up perfect with the frame holes and every thing fit great.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks