jasonmark1993

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
FJ cruiser (wifes ride)
2008 ZX10R,
73 CJ5, 408W, Toploader, Dana 20, 9" Dana 30 5.38 gears, next purchase=slicks
Anybody know if a V8 will fit in a 67' CJ5 ? Ill be poking around in the meantime but let me know if you all have any info on this one.

thanks!

:dung: nevermind....already found the info...no go.

In case someone is interested....

Must Sell 1967 Jeep CJ V6

Real nice guy....over 4k just in the axles.

Well, you can get a V8 in there, just not bolt in. It has a Dauntles v6 though. A very stout engine!

Anybody know if a V8 will fit in a 67' CJ5 ?

Good question.
It's a very tight fit. I'd like to see a CJ from '71 or earlier with a V8.
In 1971 AMC bought Jeep and in the following year they extended the hood to allow longer AMC engines to be installed.
You can see the difference between this '55 CJ5 (it's 1955jeepwillys')
cj5_-_1955jeepwillys.jpg

and this 1970 CJ6 (it's BajaEdition's).
cj6_1970_bajaedition.jpg

Well if its possible Id build the motor mount adapters. It just sounded like it wouldnt actually fit.

The guy selling the 67 described the diff. between the 72^ vs his and mentioned that the inner fenders met the firewall on his and not the 72^; or something to that effect. The link one of you provided me mentioned the stretch of 5 inches to fit the V8 in 72.

Bummer...looked like a good deal.

You would have to do alot of work. Move mounts, linkages, replace exhaust, and might even need to move the core support or more.

Is it doable? Yes! I have seen a CJ7 monster truck... It just comes down to money and time.

Also, as I stated before - the factory v6 is a very strong engine! :chug:

Im fine with everything but moving the core support/grill. Dead set on doing a V8. Just saw an ad for a 69 with a 350.

Ill keep digging a little more.

Good question.
It's a very tight fit. I'd like to see a CJ from '71 or earlier with a V8.
In 1971 AMC bought Jeep and in the following year they extended the hood to allow longer AMC engines to be installed.

An easy way to spot "71 and earlier" cj's is the bottom of the front fender.
Early cj's, up to and including 71, are sometimes refered to as short nose.
AMC streched them begining in 72 to make room for the inline 6.

glad someone is talking about this.. i always wondered if the wheel bases were shorter to?????????

Well just had a response from another forum where a guy put a 305 in a 50s 3A.

Well just had a response from another forum where a guy put a 305 in a 50s 3A.
As I stated - you can put anything in you want. It's just time and money.

How much time and money are you willing to throw into putting a V8 in it? What is your skill level?

And last, if you don't mind... It has one of the best v6's ever made for off-road in it now, why go to a v8? Inquiring minds want to know! :chug:

I used to work with a guy who put a 454 into a CJ2a . So like others have said anything is possible. It just takes time and money.

Ya I've been seeing the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 getting a lot of praise during my searching. Kindof makes me not want to but this particular jeep.

Skill level is above average..was an auto tech for 7 years and have always had some sort of project going.

So I'm moving out of cars (just sold my turbocharged 5.0l) What Im shooting for is a cross between a muscle car/off road vehicle. Might sound funny, but I've been in a jeep that beat a 01' vette to @100 mph or whatever we topped at. That was honestly the most exciting hot rod experience of my life. This jeep wasn't a road queen either...had 35" mud tires, rust, dents, and did great off road. I know a high HP motor isn't ideal for crawling, but thats not really what Im shooting for. Jeeps are such excellent off road vehicles, having a high HP V8 that gives up a little off road behavior won't bother me any. I also live 30 min from a huge sand dune rec area where they do sand drags so I wouldn't mind playing there.

With you guys talking about putting a V8 into an early CJ5 or Flatfender I started to Google and Oogle. Here are some flatfenders with V8s:
Here's a Ford 302 in a '48
jeepstuff010.png
More V8's in Flatties:
46445_464861421102_641166102_6267873_4636446_n.jpg

59131_467212091102_641166102_6316589_7384328_n.jpg

6441d1316042647-v8-67-cj5-chevy-v8-flattie.jpg

Next, an AMC 360 in a '48 CJ2a
100_1703.jpg

March09007.jpg

How about a very rare Willies Flathead V8
engine1.jpg

Well I guess I'll go check now but Id expect those old flatfenders to be even smaller.

That flathead looks awesome in there!!

EDIT

You guys are so helpful (can't wait until I know more and can be) so instead of starting a new thread let me just throw a question in here. This 67 im checking out has a Dana 44 drum rear,(one piece axles) Dana 30 disc ft, both with detroits and 4.11s. I've done a bit of research and it seems like the 44 is a pretty tough rearend. I know you can blow anything up if you start bouncing it or dropping the clutch at the wrong time but can they stand up to a good dose of power?

Last edited:
Nice pics. Yes very well possible to put a v8 in your rig. A good buddy also put a 350 in his willys. Lot of work tweaking even after the install but a very nice set up when done. Most common way to insure room is cutting your inner fenders back to insure room for flex of the engine. Good luck.

My very first Jeep was a '47 CJ2a Flattie with a 327 Chevy V-8 stuffed in the engine bay...It was a POS but I didn't know better then (not sure I do now...). Hi HP Jeeps tend to kill under-built Jeep parts...RIP all those T-90s & Spicer 18s I put in there....

That guy found a buyer before I moved on it. Im glad anyway it was really set up nice so somebody got a good rig.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom