Valve cover

Valve cover

Plenty Coups

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ5-4.2L,T176 mated to a Dana 300
Before I order a new valve cover for my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I have to ask. Is the Crown replacement a direct bolt on with out mods like the factory plastic cover? I do not want to drill and tap the head. The Omni one says it may require drilling and tapping the head for proper fit. The PO broke the base of the factory VC near the back and I am tired of the oily mess leaking down onto the bell housing and streaming back over the tranny and TC. Besides Amsoil is pricey to be pouring on the ground.

I wouldnt waste my time with installing one that you dont have to drill and tap - You need the support on that side or you will end up in the same situation 6 months from now. Its easy to do as long as you dont drill into the water jackets - I checked the depth of the blank hole that is existing and only went that deep.

I am about to do the same thing.. and I do not want to drill and tap the head.. knowing the person who does it.. would miss it up... I feel the risk is big.
I too have the oil leak with the plastic cover.. Is there any other way around this with out drilling/tapping? I really would like to keep the plastic cover, but know I am fooling myself... Has anyone been successful with a their plastic cover not leaking?

Before I order a new valve cover for my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I have to ask. Is the Crown replacement a direct bolt on with out mods like the factory plastic cover? I do not want to drill and tap the head. The Omni one says it may require drilling and tapping the head for proper fit. The PO broke the base of the factory VC near the back and I am tired of the oily mess leaking down onto the bell housing and streaming back over the tranny and TC. Besides Amsoil is pricey to be pouring on the ground.

Try the search - search for Valve Cover Gasket Install

The question is "Does the Crown aluminum valve cover fit with out modification, i.e. drilling and tapping the head?". The cover leaks because it is BROKEN by the P.O.

The question is "Does the Crown aluminum valve cover fit with out modification, i.e. drilling and tapping the head?". The cover leaks because it is BROKEN by the P.O.
Drilling and tapping the head isn't to hard. If you take your time. Take the cover off first you may have holes that are there and just need to be tapped which is what I had very easy just make sure to put a paper towel down to catch the metal shavings and use a magnet to help pick up the shavings, and clean up good so you don't get that mess in your oil. If you have to drill and tap, use a position finding center punch place the new cover on and use punch to find correct placement of hole. Drill and tap like above, just file the hole after to get the burrs off so you will have a flat surface to seal against. Also it helps to have a drill that has a level on the end of it to get the hole straight up and down. A positioning center punch will look like a metal dole rod with a sharp point on the end.:)

Has anyone been successful with a their plastic cover not leaking?
I have been able to replace the seal on my plastic valve cover a couple of times with no leaks.

I've got a 258and bought the chrome rocker cover from amazon.com that fitted perfectly.

I also bought the chrome PVC valve and inlet with the coresponding rubber gaskets and oil filler.

It all works perfectly with a cork gasket and no silicone.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom