vin # help

vin # help

twcj8

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2500HD GMC 2wd, 83cj8; 258/176 stock, dana 300 456 gears, amc20 w/1pc warn winch, custom cage, 3.5" lift, 35x12.5x15. 68cj5; v-6/t-14, t-18 transfer, 3.73 gears, dana 30 frt w/disk brakes & power sterring, dana44 rear.
I'm trying to locate the vin # on the frame. Frame is a later model one, w/gas tank in the rear. Also has the 3 body mounts down the frame rails w/2 aft, 1 in the front. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks tw

just got the frame in a deal with some other stuff. There is no body/tub, just a frt 30, rear AMC20 , w/3.54 gears. Is a narrow trac, so I know it's prior 83. I just thought there might be a # stamped on it somewhere, probably not big deal. Thanks for the help. tw

The OEs have always hidden the VIN somewhere on a vehicle for theft reasons, but I dont ever recall coming across them on Jeeps, or at least not on the frame.

Not sure what year that started either, it may have been in the 80s. All the Cj frames Ive come across, Ive never seen a VIN, and I would recogonize one and make a mental note of it, for Ive been swapping bodys and frames for 20+ years.

I have rebuilt non-jeeps and the state police come out and look for the hidden vin, Ive watched that process take place, just not on a jeep.

My 73 had the VIN stamped on the top LH frame rail between the firewall and steering box mount.

Looked like a rather crude stamping.

My 73 had the VIN stamped on the top LH frame rail between the firewall and steering box mount.

Looked like a rather crude stamping.

Wow, you found a vin on a MN Jeep, impressive ! Im going to keep an eye out in the future to see if I can find one on any of my donors... good to know !

They really use tons of salt down by Minneapolis. Up North not so much. We used to laugh at the Minneapolis cars that came up North with major body panels flopping or gone. Besides, the only salt in the pasture comes in 50# blocks for the horses. . .:)

Most of the Cjs Ive bought (for parts) have been de-commissioned due to salt/rust. Ive seen more bad frames, as in rotted through, than solid ones. I even know where to look first on the frames for holes ! Most vehicles come off the road due to wrecks.... not jeeps...:(

My 84 CJ8 has the vin on the frame rail right above the right rear shock facing up. it is very hard to see and a few layers of paint might cover it enought to be hidden. You might need to sand the paint off first.

There also stamped above the rear axle on frame

Thanks to all for the help. As soon as it warms up, live in the Dallas area, I'll do checking in the areas mentioned. I know, it's not cold compared to other areas, but it is to me. Besides the frame is outside, not in the shop.
Thanks again, & i'll let you all know if I find anything. tw

So where on the engine block is the vin located? I believe my engine is a late '70s or early '80s AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I know the recommended spark plugs for a '73 doesn't fit my block. I just want to figure out what it is.

images

Between the right side oil filter and fuel pump. The flat area in the photo.

images

Between the right side oil filter and fuel pump. The flat area in the photo.
Would that be behind the distributor or lower? Either way, I don't see anything. I remember the PO saying something about the guy before him taking the engine out of a oil rig. He didn't seem sure so I didn't pay much attention to him. Has anyone ever heard of this?

The Jeep CJ has a partial VIN Number on the frame above rear axle on the passenger side. MY 78 has a boxed frame and right above the axle where the frame is folded over and welded is a stamp about 1/4" high and two inches long or so. Its a partial number but is is there.

Helps if you remove the tire, but i can see mine just with a flashlight.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom