water temp

water temp

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
When I get to running around town my temp gets up close to 200 degrees. My CJ7 is all original except I don't have a fan shroud. It never gets above 200 even sitting at alot of redlights. I would feel more comfortable with it staying around 180. Thoughts?

You must have an aftermarket temp gauge to get those numbers of course. I know that the later CJs have a 195 degree thermostat, but not sure what you have. You could need an engine cooling system flush out and/or need a clutch for the fan. The fan shrould does help a little though. I don't drive my CJ much so I went to a fixed fan instead of replacing the clutch.

:agree: doesn't sound to hot to me. My 4.0 runs 210

Actually if you have a 12 psi radiator cap the coolant won't boil over until it's about 250°

When I get to running around town my temp gets up close to 200 degrees. My CJ7 is all original except I don't have a fan shroud. It never gets above 200 even sitting at alot of redlights. I would feel more comfortable with it staying around 180. Thoughts?

:)As others have mentioned 200 degrees is not bad ........but also not good. You have not mentioned what the ambient temp is when you see 200? Also do you have AC or a Winch up front?
Point is if your lower temp range is 200 there is only one place to go and that's up!
No big deal if all you use your rig for is putting around town.
Take it off the road and start working the engine and drive train and Temperatures will go up very fast.............at the very least flush your system put some fresh Antifreeze & water in there and I would also try to find the correct shroud.
The shroud is designed for one thing. Making the fan blade more effective to draw more cool air from outside through your Radiator.:):):)
:D:D:D:D

well when I redid the jeep I flushed the cooling system. I intalled a new radiator. I don't have ac so that doesn't factor in. I have a winch. It gets to 200 and stays there driving around town. I'm gonna work on a fan shroud though.

well when I redid the jeep I flushed the cooling system. I intalled a new radiator. I don't have ac so that doesn't factor in. I have a winch. It gets to 200 and stays there driving around town. I'm gonna work on a fan shroud though.

:)41,
I think that will help it out, hopefully you have the stock sized radiator so finding a correctly sized shroud should be easy................Not sure if that year had a clutch fan but if so and warn out can hurt the cooling also........
let us know how it works.

No fan clutch either, by the way my check engine light doesn't come on. I just thought I would throw that in there :)

No fan clutch either, by the way my check engine light doesn't come on. I just thought I would throw that in there :)

Could be a sender, bad ground, wire or gauge ????............you just have to look around on that Item.

Could be a sender, bad ground, wire or gauge ????............you just have to look around on that Item.
I think rr41mag meant the temp never causes the light to come on.

my temp gets up close to 200 degrees.
It never gets above 200 even sitting at alot of redlights.

The factory thermostat for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is 195°
Check out this thread:http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/winter-running-temp-7572/

As you already indicated I would get a fan shroud.
Other than that your cooling system is working good. After an engine gets up to temprature the thermostat should regulate the temp and it should stay constant. If it goes up during stop and go traffic or when you work the engine hard then you have a problem and your radiator isn't able to keep up with the demand.

A '81 CJ7 doesn't have a check engine light.

Yea I know, or a fan clutch, or any of the other bull :dung:**

I really have not heard of too many running hot issues caused by a winch, even the great Warn 8274. A suggestion I could make would be a larger diameter fan, if you could stuff a larger one in there, but that would only help at low speed though.

Sorry bout my scence of humor, no I don't have a check engine light, I don't have a fan clutch, My a/c runs constantly since I have no top or doors to speak of. The thermostat, radiator are new. Gauges are new. I love how simple my jeep is. I get so sick of dealing with check engine lights, buzzers, bells, whistles, blinging, and other assorted noises. It just bugs me that it gets to 200 degrees. Hell I'm old school it should run around 180 in my opinion. At least I would feel better if it did. When I finally get moved down to Panama city I will check into a fan shroud. Thats another thing it's in panama city and I'm still stuck here in texarkana texas.

Sorry bout my scence of humor, no I don't have a check engine light, I don't have a fan clutch, My a/c runs constantly since I have no top or doors to speak of. The thermostat, radiator are new. Gauges are new. I love how simple my jeep is. I get so sick of dealing with check engine lights, buzzers, bells, whistles, blinging, and other assorted noises. It just bugs me that it gets to 200 degrees. Hell I'm old school it should run around 180 in my opinion. At least I would feel better if it did. When I finally get moved down to Panama city I will check into a fan shroud. Thats another thing it's in panama city and I'm still stuck here in texarkana texas.

:)Cool............Well hopefully we helped you a little to address your Temperature Issue.....Good Luck!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom