Commodore

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-5
258 c.i.d.
T-176
Hi All,

I just bought a Weber 34 progressive 2 barrel to replace my stock Carter BBD. After reading all the hype about the weber, it looks like you can't go wrong: better fuel economy, easier to get it to idle, more power, and so on. My problem is thus: It just doesn't work like the ad says it should. The stock throttle cable is too short and would need to be replaced. The thing runs real rich and needs to be rejetted right out of the box; it just billows black smoke. Has anyone else had this problem? And, what is the solution? I've done some reading on the web (and, it its on the web, it has to be true) and found that half the posts on the weber carb purport it to being the best thing since sliced bread and works right out of the box, the other half have some sort of tale of want and woe. I've read of people saying stuff like, "After spending the $300 on the carb/kit, I had to put another few hundred into getting it running." I don't really want to go down that road. What is the general feeling on this issue?

Cheers,

Lee

I have a Weber 36\36. It is not progressive like yours. It was easy to tune, with the help of a friend. They are an improvement over the Carter. At least that is what I read on the interweb and we know everything we read on the internets is true. Sorry, that isn't much of help but I do like my Weber.

You have to put in a fuel pressure regulator. Since your stock fuel pump puts out 7 to 9 psi it needs to be brought down to 3. Get a holley 1 to 4 psi regulator then adjust the carb for best lean.

I've got a weber on my 86 had it a few years now. Yes more power!
I now run a one line in clear fuel filter and one line out. Not sure what
# weber I have.

I got the thing and don't want to have to put too much cash into it to get it working. If a fuel regulator will do it, then that would be just great. The back story is I'm a grad student and don't have a lot of cash to throw around and $300 is a lot of beer. I just didn't want to get halfway into all this $300 more later and it still not work properly. Taking things apart tends to void warranties and that ain't cool.

Thanks,

Lee

You have to put in a fuel pressure regulator. Since your stock fuel pump puts out 7 to 9 psi it needs to be brought down to 3. Get a holley 1 to 4 psi regulator then adjust the carb for best lean.

get the regulator. why they dont sell them with the Jeep kits is beyond me:mad:

X2, Run the regulator at 3 to 3.5 and it will make all the difference in the world, the Holley regulator is only about 30.00. I run this one after having the same prob you are having. The needle and seat on the fuel bowl wont hold back any more than 3 or 4 psi of pressure. I dont know why Weber doesnt spec this. 4WD Hardware has a note next to all the Webers in their catalog that you need a fuel press. reg.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom