welding gears

welding gears

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
How fond are yall on welding the gears to make a posi trac? I'm talking for the front end and can unlock the hubs plus put it in two wheel drive. My fourwheeling consists of very mild trails hunting.

Welded gears are a cheap way to make a spool (not a Posi-trac). But if you are doing mild trail rides I would leave both diffs open. (or get a Limited slip) Even a locker would be better. Sure a welded diff is the cheapest option.

If you are worried about getting stuck mount a winch.

A welded diff is a bit extreme, especially for mild trail rides.
you loose directional stability.

I'm not a fan of welded gears at all. Just my 2 cents.
If you think you need something I would get a Eaton truetrak (Limited slip) You won't loose your steering that way.

I had a "lincoln locker" in the rear 44 on my '73 CJ5 .Great for offroad racing or sand,not so good for anything else.Welded front gets a big
NO-NO-NO i really don't think you would enjoy it. If you really want to you could find a old carrier(case) and weld it up and try it. I think i used some low hydrogen rod with a stick welder.The welders on here will know.:DMike

My fourwheeling consists of very mild trails hunting.

At the most you need a lunchbox locker for the front. Welding the gears is going to compromise the steering in any tighter situation you may get in.

If you must have a locked front go with a Spartin or one of the other drop ins. If you don't have power steering I would say leave it alone.

Just to be clear, I think "Lincoln lockers" are about as cost effective as SOA's. They are both going to cost a lot more than you think they will in the end.:D

I vote no.:cool:

I say go for it. Its a great budget way to get more traction. As long as you have selectable hubs its not to bad just remember steering is very difficult. A buddy of mine had front and rear welded in a CJ5 and for a jeep with no flex on 33s it could keep up with most rigs on 35s or bigger. Personally if it were me and I were not driving on the road I would just weld the rear and call it good. My bud in his CJ5 could drive anything mild in rear wheel drive and it didn't effect the steering. He did drive that jeep on the road a lot and it would skip a little on corners which is fine you just have to expect it and be ready for it.

If you can weld it yourself then its worth while but if you have to pay someone its more worth while to buy a $300 lunch box locker.

Would itreally be that noticeable offroad? I would lock my hubs then put it in ourwheel when needed. I wouldnt leave it in four wheel.

yes, it would only have an effect when in four wheel drive. You live in FL so snowy roads aren't an issue.
In 4WD you would loose some directional stability. It would try to go strait. Plus when you are driving along a side hill the front may slide to the downhill side. But as you say, it's only when the hubs are locked.
With welded gears you will always stay moving, just not always in the direction you want to go. :p

Would itreally be that noticeable offroad? I would lock my hubs then put it in ourwheel when needed. I wouldnt leave it in four wheel.

Even if you put your Jeep in 2wd on the trail as long as the hub are locked you will have steering issues because there will be no differential between the two sides. It would be a chore to drive at all and put alot of stress on the reletively light duty components.

Even if you put your Jeep in 2wd on the trail as long as the hub are locked you will have steering issues because there will be no differential between the two sides. It would be a chore to drive at all and put alot of stress on the reletively light duty components.
:agree:

:)Florida is pretty flat............Mild trails...what do you have in the Rear End?
I would be more apt to concentrate on the back before I would weld the front end up.
Welding the front spiders is commonly refered to as a "Live Axle" when the hubs are engaged and may be great going in a straight line but as others here have stated here will not turn very well as one tire would be sliding as the other is trying to catch up..........

Mild trails.......Limited slip or a selectable locker in the back.

:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom