Went looking for Desert Wild Flowers

Went looking for Desert Wild Flowers

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
Went out a few weeks ago, but photobucket wouldn't cooperate. Today it is little more functional. The trip to find Desert Wildflowers was a bust, but Still stopped to check out the petroglyphs. This area is rich in rock art. As you can see the trail isn't technical but pleasant to drive:

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Typical basin and range geology of the desert South West. This is the type of mountain the Natives seemed to like doing picture art on. It is interesting to note that they only used the west side of the mountain for their art. On the west it's covered, turn the corner south or north and there is nothing. This is the south side of the mountain, I'd really call it a hill, but here it's a mountain.

IMG_0383.jpg

Its full of this kind of rock art. Pictures don't do it justice:

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

No Flowers, but a good day.

I was born out there and hope to drive some of those trails some late fall winter or spring in the nearish future in my Jeep. Bucket list material there. Nice pictures. Thanks

Any day you can get out in your CJ and do some trails is a great day:banana:. Love the pics, thats for sharing.

Good way to readjust one's outlook.
LG

Where is this? I love petroglyphs and that is the primary reason I got a jeep. Usually I walk to find them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.M. sent

very sweet I cant wait to get mine done

Any day you can get out in your CJ and do some trails is a great day.
^^^this
I'm all about treading lightly, and I understand that hill isn't meant for climbing, but with all the flat land surrounding it my first thought was to climb that sucker.
Thanks for sharing.

These hills/mountains are little more than a pile of big rock/boulders. Climbing is acceptable, these things are permanent and scrambling around on them won't hurt. That is if not done to a large degree. When climbing there are little gifts like little men or deer or flowers chipped in the rock where you can't see them from below. It is easy to imagine someone sitting there chipping away with a small stone. The variety of art is amazing. There are rows of dots, mazes, circles, those spiral designs, almost something like road maps, the usual suns, deer, coyotes, snakes. Oddly enough I have never seen any sign of live snakes, I bet they are there, but I never see them or their shed skins.

Not on foot, I meant climb it in my CJ. :cool:

Thank you for your input, my mistake. Out here there are almost identical rock piles all over the place, but it is frowned on to drive off the established trails.

Not on foot, I meant climb it in my CJ. :cool:

Hills like that can be deceiving. They are usually farther away than they appear and steeper than they look and the boulders larger than your jeep

Hills like that can be deceiving. They are usually farther away than they appear and steeper than they look and the boulders larger than your jeep

I bet this is just making Posi want to climb them even more "in his CJ" : )

Yeah I can tell he has the want !

Unfortunately the average size boulders on that hill are about the size of a VW beetle and they are loose so they will roll. Not a healthy combination.

A few years ago someone went to jail for taking some of the art for their yard. Antiquities laws can be harsh.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks