what axles are you runing & why

On this CJ, I'm running a narrow Dana 30 up front with a lunch box in it.
In the back, I'm running a Dana 44 from a with a detroit in it.

Their both good solid units, and have served me well over the years in any Jeep I have run them in.

I prefer the Dana 30 /Dana 44 combo, both are great axles that have a ton of aftermarket support, and plenty of competition for your business. They are good strong axles and have high clearance. I also like Ford 9 inch as another proven axle with a lot of support.
I think of the biggest things to look at in an axle is strength and support, next would be clearance, as how much more tire would you need to get the return of a D60 or what. Another issue is to consider how hard are you going to beat up the axles, I think every newer wheeler gets caught up in the bigger is better mode. However as you skills improve you learn a lot of times you were using large equipment to overcome finesse. I find that runing 33s get me everywhere I want to go, I do pass by a few obsticles now days, not because I can not take them, I just know how expensive the parts I will need to replace cost.

I run Dana60's front & rear.
I do so because I run big tires, front & rear lockers.
Also I climb rock waterfalls & play in the mud.
That & I've grown tired blowing:dung:up.;)

Longhorn you really dont count, im sorry the only thing jeep about your CJ is the body and the engine, lol the rest is chevy :D actually i dont know all the specs you just dont count ha

then there are those who chose to go where I do not:chug:

I have the original AMC20 rear and Dana 30 front; some would hang their head in shame, but not me. I have every intention of using these forever. I will be putting one piece axles in the 20 with an air lock, an axle truss and disk brakes, it will be more cost effective for me to do this than to hunt for the 44 that will fit and do a total rebuild on it and having a debatably stronger axle when I am finished.
The front is scheduled for a lunch box/Aussi locker.

In the longhorns defense; he has one of the best engineered and built highway rated tractors I think you will find anywhere. And has an impressive knowledge of suspension and drive trains for equipment that could arguably pass for a lunar excursion vehicle.

I found this in CL tonight, I am going to E-mail him but I don’t think these are the right length for my axle, and I don’t see myself driving to Abilene to buy them. Full float axles would be cool and the price isn’t too bad.:cool:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1537544028.html

Also run the stock housing (30/20). However, upgraded guts to Chromoly with Aussie lockers both ends and Spicer Ujoints. Yukon supplied the upgrades. Rear has the tubes welded to the center and a truss on top of that.

Running 36" TSL's with a 401 and never had a problem. And I am not known for babying my toy off road.

I have the original AMC20 rear and Dana 30 front; some would hang their head in shame, but not me. I have every intention of using these forever. I will be putting one piece axles in the 20 with an air lock, an axle truss and disk brakes, it will be more cost effective for me to do this than to hunt for the 44 that will fit and do a total rebuild on it and having a debatably stronger axle when I am finished.
The front is scheduled for a lunch box/Aussi locker.

In the longhorns defense; he has one of the best engineered and built highway rated tractors I think you will find anywhere. And has an impressive knowledge of suspension and drive trains for equipment that could arguably pass for a lunar excursion vehicle.

I found this in CL tonight, I am going to E-mail him but I don’t think these are the right length for my axle, and I don’t see myself driving to Abilene to buy them. Full float axles would be cool and the price isn’t too bad.:cool:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1537544028.html

Damn IO, I can't believe your not jumping on that deal.
I would want drive flanges for wheeling, but the lockouts would be great for flat towing.;)

Damn IO, I can't believe your not jumping on that deal.
I would want drive flanges for wheeling, but the lockouts would be great for flat towing.;)

I got e-mail in to the boy, we will see, I think I would loose the hubs, if I was going to tow it it would use a trailer but like I said I don't see myself running to Abilene for them.

they should work, shouldn't they? as long as he isn't QuadraTrac ?

I got e-mail in to the boy, we will see, I think I would loose the hubs, if I was going to tow it it would use a trailer but like I said I don't see myself running to Abilene for them.

they should work, shouldn't they? as long as he isn't QuadraTrac ?

Rodger that, over.:D

Get him to meet you half way.;)

I run a Dana 30 AMC20 but they are not stock. Well the front is but I rebuilt it with Richmond gears and timpkin bearings. The AMC20 has an ARB Air Locker with Richmond gears, Moser 1 piece axles and Con-Fer spring plates. I also installed a Tom Woods CV driveshaft. I was sceptical about putting a V8 in front of my AMC20 at first but I know the carrier is plenty strong enough. The H1 Hummer uses the same carrier. ARB told me when I had to order a drive pin for mine so if it can handle a Hummer and can handle my Jeep. Also the Moser axles are Guaranteed against high horspepower motors. He told me straight up if I break one he will replace it free, no questions asked for the life of my shafts. I built these both back in 1998 and they have been flawless since them.

I run a Dana 30 AMC20 but they are not stock. Well the front is but I rebuilt it with Richmond gears and timpkin bearings. The AMC20 has an ARB Air Locker with Richmond gears, Moser 1 piece axles and Con-Fer spring plates. I also installed a Tom Woods CV driveshaft. I was sceptical about putting a V8 in front of my AMC20 at first but I know the carrier is plenty strong enough. The H1 Hummer uses the same carrier. ARB told me when I had to order a drive pin for mine so if it can handle a Hummer and can handle my Jeep. Also the Moser axles are Guaranteed against high horspepower motors. He told me straight up if I break one he will replace it free, no questions asked for the life of my shafts. I built these both back in 1998 and they have been flawless since them.

That guaranty has no tire size limit?:confused:

That guaranty has no tire size limit?:confused:

I don't know. He told me flat out they are designed for high horsepower and since he specializes in drag racing applications that he will warrantee any breakage I have. Now of course it has been 12 years since then and I have had no issues. Who know what will be said now.

It may use the same carrier, but differential is solid mounted.
No weak axles,No weak axle tubes, No weak wheel bearings, No leaking seals.

Corvette uses a solid mounted Dana 44 pulling 638 HP with a factory warranty.

I don't know. He told me flat out they are designed for high horsepower and since he specializes in drag racing applications that he will warrantee any breakage I have. Now of course it has been 12 years since then and I have had no issues. Who know what will be said now.

Most warranties I've seen stipulate No tires over 35"-36", usually in the fine print. No big deal since they're working for you.;)

On top of that the Corvette chunk is aluminum.:eek:

True, my seals do suck. I have never had issues with the tubes though but I have never had bigger than 33's. Wheel bearings get replaced with the one peice units. I did want to go to 35's and at that point I would not trust them with my heavy right foot.

I'm still running my Dana 30 and AMC20 .
The 30 has a detroit truetrac,USA alloy front shafts with 760 joints.
The 20 has a ditroit locker and superior axle 1 piece shafts.
I run 4:10 gears and 33" tires. Been worken for a while now.
As for why, they were free with the jeep so why not.:oops:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom