what GM steering columns bolt into CJ7???

what GM steering columns bolt into CJ7???

mobydick38

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7
1999 Chevy 2500
Hello Jeepers,
My tilt steerimg column is beyond repair. I have searched high and low and have not been able to pinpoint exactly what other GM steering columns with bolt into my 1984 CJ7 . if any?
any help will be greatly appreciated.
pics and thoughts wanted

Thanks

I used one from a 96 Cherokee in my 77. I had to get a creative with the u joint but is bolted on and plugged in.

Hello Jeepers,
My tilt steerimg column is beyond repair. I have searched high and low and have not been able to pinpoint exactly what other GM steering columns with bolt into my 1984 CJ7 . if any?
pics and thoughts wanted

Thanks

As IO said, Cherocar's are good, you even get a Jeep logo'd steering wheel. Late 80's early 90's Firebirds work well too.

EDIT: I see I am half a month late to the party. Hope you got it figured out.

Last edited:
Hey you guys hav any pics of the steering columns after the conversion? Im gonna do a CJ5 . Thanks:cool:

does the 74 have a locking steering wheel??

picture of what you have please.

Hey you guys hav any pics of the steering columns after the conversion? Im gonna do a CJ5 . Thanks:cool:

Here is what my '74 steering column looks like. I'd guess his is similar?
I think I'm on the hunt for a tilt wheel as well.

74JeepCJ-5004.jpg

this is what I have at the moment. the last one is where the u joint/ clamp for the new column was welded on the original shaft that goes down to the steering actuator.
On the 77 it was a walk in the park, it just bolted to the mount on the pedal assy. as I remember and the fire well mount was removed with a die grinder with cut off wheel and replaced with the original fire well mount. The wiring all plugged right in. The 84 should be as easy I would guess.:cool:
The 74 will require a bit more finesse. :chug:

I used a tilt column out of a 70 camaro for my 3b fit just fine no major fabbing

I picked this up over the weekend for a screamin' deal!
Flaming River Stainless steel Tilt column. Paid about what a stock GM column would cost.

IMG_2263.jpg

This is always an option for the OP (if your made of gold, or in this case Stainless Steel! :laugh: )
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56120_503.htm

Sorry guys got busy... No picts handy but my 5 does not lock. still lookin and diggin for the right one

That's what I'm running, minus the Stainless steel.

Love it.

No lock on it. The emergency flasher is on the column too.

The wires with a plug GM connector.

Hello Jeepers,
pics and thoughts wanted

Thanks

Hi. I'm unaware of any newer column that would be an easy task to install in an older cj unless you bought new which would have the same spline count of the existing steering column you currently have if still using the factory manual steering. Honestly my best suggestion would be to get an 80's model jeep column and converting your pre power steering unit over to power steering all at the same time. Grabbing a column, power steering shaft, power steering box, Pump, hoses, and all mounts from one unit would be an incredibly smart thing to do. Sounds like a scary project but it is relatively simple. The biggest issue with adapting this set up from experience I would say the column. Mostly just mounting of the column if you went with the complete conversion from manual to power steering I spoke of above. Everything else you can do with common tools.
With my Jeep I decided to adapted an early 80's bronco steering column into my 73cj5. It turned out to be a fair amount of work to adapt. Mounting, wiring, steering shaft adapting form the old spline count to new, all took some time with the route I chose. I also converted to power steering at the same time. Grabbing the shaft, box, pump and hoses from a newer cj. An easy way to mount your column to the column mount is to use a large u bolt, which will wrap around your new column and fit into excising mount holes on the column mount. On my jeep I also made a couple brackets for extra support (I always want my column to have no play in them so you can almost hang off them) Adapting my wiring harness to this bronco column I had to find the wiring schematics. Well worth the time it took to have this old cj with all the nice features of wipers, lights, and blinkers all in the column. If your real ambitious even cruise control!
smile.gif
I had the power steering shaft and the bronco shaft. Next was adapting them to work. Neither shaft will work with both the newer bronco column and CJ power steering box so I cut and welded the two correct shafts together and utilized the collapsible part in the new shaft I made. Caution if you do go this rout be sure to have a professional do the cutting and welding on your steering shaft. As for the box, pump and hoses this was easy. Just make sure you have all the mounts for the pump, and box. If the pump you grab was used on a different motor then yours you may have to make/find a mount for your particular engine. Overall this project is a huge upgrade and for the time/money spent I think it should be one of the 1st to consider. If your running larger tires, or doing some off roading you will be very happy you did this upgrade. Thank you

lots of gm columns will work with just a little modification. you will need the shaft that goes from the column to the steering box to mate the new column to your box. I put one out of an s10 in my CJ5 . only took a couple hours. didn't need any welding either. used the top half of the gm intermediate shaft, and cut off my top joint on the cj. slid the two together and put a grade 8 bolt through it. worked out great.

Thx BigAl77cj5 I think he is only referring to newer 76-86 jeeps. Boy if its as easy as taking off the upper joint and connecting it direct into a cj shaft that's great. If your just looking to upgrade your steering column I would go this way guys if you have a 76-86. The shafts were not the same in those pre 76 jeeps so your best bet is probably to do what we spoke of above. Here is a recent picture of our column and dash in my 73 cj

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,912
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,392
Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom