What the Heck Did the PO do to my Hardtop???

What the Heck Did the PO do to my Hardtop???

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
Ok so can someone help me out here. How is a cj hardtop supposed to attach?? In the pics you can see that the PO put a bunch of bolts through the brow over the windshield and then put a backing plate on the inside. I put some caulk in the crack this winder because it was letting air through and was like below freezing outside. How did all this fit together stock??? I want to fix this. You can also see that the PO painted the top to black at some point when it was originally tan. I bought a can of SEMA camel spray paint to repaint the top and I would like to get it to seal and still be easily removable like stock... any sugestions?
SANY0618.jpg
SANY0617.jpg

Ok so can someone help me out here. How is a cj hardtop supposed to attach?? In the pics you can see that the PO put a bunch of bolts through the brow over the windshield and then put a backing plate on the inside. I put some caulk in the crack this winder because it was letting air through and was like below freezing outside. How did all this fit together stock??? I want to fix this. You can also see that the PO painted the top to black at some point when it was originally tan. I bought a can of SEMA camel spray paint to repaint the top and I would like to get it to seal and still be easily removable like stock... any sugestions?
SANY0618.jpg
SANY0617.jpg

It originally had self tapping screws going from the inside out, but not penetrating the top as in your horror story.:eek:

That's a pretty bad PO fix. Your going to need to do some fiberglass work. :(

As LH said, the screws were supposed to pull up the top from the inside out, not be lag or carriage bolts! :eek:

I believe there is some padding or rubber gasket type material between the top and that piece that's bolted on. That's suppose to keep the air from coming in. I've had my top off, but I never really looked at what material was in there. I'm taking my hard top off today and putting the soft top on. I'll post some pics for you.

I am going to pull it today because it should be sunny and rain free for the next few days. I will take more pics ofthe carnage..

Does anyone know where to get the lower seal that goes under the window? Also where to get hard top seals.

I bought a bestop bikini top but am not sure how it is supposed to attached to the window. I bought I from a guy on cl who sent me tan bikini top, and tan half soft doors as well as a delux carpet kit that he told me was honey but is definitely grey all for about 200 shipped. He must have left out some important part for attaching the bikini

I hope this helps.

2010-04-25_1021_1.jpg

nitor not to be ungrateful but can you take a pic panned out a tad and also get A shot if the top of your wind sheild

Here is another picture of the top, a little further back. I was laying on the floor when I took this picture.

2010-04-26_0836.jpg

These are some pictures of an old windshield frame I have in the garage. I hope these help.

2010-04-26_0840.jpg
2010-04-26_0845.jpg

Ok well the pinch welded part seems to still be intact on the windsheild. and it looks like I still have the piece that originally would have screwed to it in the top. WHy the heck did he drill holes it it though? I am going to take pics today. Where can I get new seals for the bottom of the wind shield and the hard top?

Ok well the pinch welded part seems to still be intact on the windsheild. and it looks like I still have the piece that originally would have screwed to it in the top. WHy the heck did he drill holes it it though? I am going to take pics today. Where can I get new seals for the bottom of the wind shield and the hard top?

WHy the heck did he drill holes it it though?
He didn't know any better.

The instructions for hardtop seal kits indicate to put weatherstrip over the existing rubber seal on the front of the top.
You can get the windshield seal (the seal below the windshield) from Quadratec.

He didn't know any better.

The instructions for hardtop seal kits indicate to put weatherstrip over the existing rubber seal on the front of the top.
You can get the windshield seal (the seal below the windshield) from Quadratec.

So basically as long as I am not a dum dum like the PO I could probably just build my own hardtop seal kit from rubber weather strips at my local hardware place?

operation " reapair what Pat (the PO) did to the Hardtop" is goin on hold till I get the jeep running, finish herculining the floor and get driveshafts. I will report back here when I make some headway.

I have 1981 CJ7 aquired a fiberglass top for it ,aftermarket of course! wish it was factory! was traded for a Glock! A top and two full steel doors! Wondering what im in for! Havent seen a top like this in any picture ive looked at or site! Lots of things have been done to my CJ but a while back! new AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l -6 danas,best top and seats pro comp 2&1/2 inch lift 33s crome wheels ,warn winch,steering wheel,console,new wind/shield & frame,pipe bumpers,battery, radator,anyway Thanks for allowing me to join the Forum! But same here still lots of work,:)

Lots of folks can do lots of things. Personally, Murphy law tends to follow me so I ordered windshield, tailgate, hardtop and door seals from Quadratec. Took a few weeks but once the seals filled out I havent had any leaky or air issues. Also had to replace lost screws, retapped and screwed down. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom