What to do with hood vent with new Heater?

What to do with hood vent with new Heater?

Icon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, 1976 232 6Speed
Hello folks, I bought that Summit Heater Dual Front Vent and now have question on what to do with the Hood Vent. Am I suppose to reroute something or buy another part. Or just cover the hood vent. Please help.

I cut the ducting behind the vent door so that the hood vent will still have a drain and keep weather out of the cab.

I cut the ducting behind the vent door so that the hood vent will still have a drain and keep weather out of the cab.

:confused: Say what? Brotha, you're going to have to post a pic or walk me through your process. I can't picture what you have. Thank you. :notworthy:

Ask and you shall receive. To the left is the duct work that is attached to the hood vent in the center of the cowl, this contains the drain tube also. To the right is the vent door that is controlled from the dash nob. I cut the unneeded portion of this ducting off and just kept the vent area to keep weather out of the cab.
Hope this clears it up, if not ask away and I will try to answer.:chug:

2012-01-18_11-51-51_398.jpg

Speaking of pictures.... about the only true similarity between your 76 and daves 83 is that they are both supposed to blow hot air. this is, of course , the stock system. How about a shot of your heater and the part that Summit sent you?

Hello folks, I bought that Summit Heater Dual Front Vent and now have question on what to do with the Hood Vent. Am I suppose to reroute something or buy another part. Or just cover the hood vent. Please help.

Speaking of pictures.... about the only true similarity between your 76 and daves 83 is that they are both supposed to blow hot air. this is, of course , the stock system. How about a shot of your heater and the part that Summit sent you?

X2 on this! Not sure I've ever seen an aftermarket heater system for a CJ!

Its not an aftermarket heater for CJ's its a universal stand alone unit. None of the factory parts are reused, you can however get a plenum that allows for the use of the defrost ducts. These heaters are a great option, they are compact and turn out more heat then the factory. They are also great heaters for the rear of your Jeep to keep the rear passengers from freezing. They are very common among the winter time wheelers around here.
Summit Racing SUM-991102-1 - Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I see , said the blind man! this is very interesting. How do you control it? Does it have a valve for the supply water of have you some sort of damper system? I would guess the fan off would do what you needed done, that's pretty much the way the stock heater works. have you managed to retain the defrost vents?:cool:

Its not an aftermarket heater for CJ's its a universal stand alone unit. None of the factory parts are reused, you can however get a plenum that allows for the use of the defrost ducts. These heaters are a great option, they are compact and turn out more heat then the factory. They are also great heaters for the rear of your Jeep to keep the rear passengers from freezing. They are very common among the winter time wheelers around here.
Summit Racing SUM-991102-1 - Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It is a constant water supply so a ball valve can be used. The fan is controlled with a 3 speed switch. Options are available to use the defroster vents but fabrication is needed. Flexalite makes a more Jeep specific model based on the same style unit.

Hello Dave, so you're pretty much using the stock or part of the stock cowl as a water catch? I've seen some pics of other jeeps where they have the heater I bought and have nothing under there.

Icon that would be correct.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom