What transmission do I have?

What transmission do I have?

mudd bug

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 304V8
2012 JKUR
I have a 1974 CJ5 with a 304 V8, I have looked around but I am not 100% possitive on what Transmission and Transfer Case I have. I need to rebuild the Transmission and adjust the linkage in the T/C. Can anyone help me figure out what I have?

If you still have the stock one if it's a 3sp it would be a t-14 if it's a 4sp it would be a t-18 and the transfer case should be a Spicer 20.

If it is stock and a 3 speed, it should be a T-15 or if it is a 4 speed a T18. The trans case should be a spicer 20.

See --> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/
and
-->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/transfer-cases-12108/

It is a 3 spd, and thats what i was thinking it was the T-15 but someone told me that it could be the T-14 so I was looking for something that I could look for to see which one it is. I was also wondering if I should keep the T-15 (if thats what it is) or if i should swap it for the T-18. I dont know which one is stronger.

A T-18 is way stronger than a T-15 no doubt.
BUT, I have used a T-15 in my '74 during mud racing, and it survived my built-up 360 just fine.
The biggest difference is in the gear selections. A T-18 has a 'granny' or 'creeper' gear in first gear. Not great for mud running at all, but invaluable during rock climbing. But it will not change the final drive ratio ( it will not reduce engine RPM at hiway speeds, no overdrive)
It really depends on your planned usage of the Jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks