Misc. Where do the rear side markers go?

Misc. Where do the rear side markers go?

Armyvet25

Beach Runner
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 83 CJ7, 2012 JKU, 1995 YJ
I've seen various placements even some with none. Where do the side markers on the rear go CJ5-CJ7 and did they change over the later years of CJ's. I've seen most CJ5's with an exception of a few later years most have them placed lower in the fender, whereas earlier years or 7's have them parallel with the front marker. got pics of yours? Post them here please.
examples;
2023-10-02_090240.jpg
2023-10-02_090134.jpg
2023-10-02_085638.jpg
2023-10-02_085454.jpg
2023-10-02_085432.jpg
2023-10-02_085509.jpg
I assume some people filled in the holes when updating to later tail lights or did they transition some year to them before the YJ came out?
Thanks

Here's my wife's 79 CJ 7 my 85 doesn't have one don't remember what year they got rid of it 82272e5f4ec4b1b87046950344e5cc86.png

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Not sure when there was a change, but my 84 never had rear side markers

Not sure when there was a change, but my 84 never had rear side markers
Probably when they switched to wide track

Got a buddy who is the original owner of an 83 it doesn't have the side marker

google, for what that's worth, says 82 was the year of change. side marker light function was transferred to the side of the brake light box. some information suggests that the wiring is still there. I didn't check

google, for what that's worth, says 82 was the year of change. side marker light function was transferred to the side of the brake light box. some information suggests that the wiring is still there. I didn't check
My '84 doesn't have them; but yes, the wiring is still there.

My 84 didn’t come with them either.

Trying to decide how retro I want to go, if I go with round tail lights I'll want the side markers, I may forgo them and just get the low profile rectangle ones, I haven't made up my mind yet, probably wait till I install the CJ tailgate and think about it.

Yup.
-None on my current '86.
-The '76 & '79 had them, down low.
I kinda like it without any.

asdfgk.jpgdad's '76.jpg

I've got an OEM side panel out in the garage, someone needed dimensions of the mounting holes so I have everything marked. I can't find the picture, I can get the dimensions tomorrow if you want.
Not sure of the vintage, but it has the holes for the spare tire mount as well.

Dave

I've got an OEM side panel out in the garage, someone needed dimensions of the mounting holes so I have everything marked. I can't find the picture, I can get the dimensions tomorrow if you want.
Not sure of the vintage, but it has the holes for the spare tire mount as well.

Dave
It would be good info just to post here for future need

I had already peeled the tape off. It took forever to find the pic.

Attachments

• CJ5 side panel.jpg
    CJ5 side panel.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 9
Now I'm confused. I've seen pics online with the markers mounted low, but I thought the models with the side mount spare only had a reflector in the center of the mount. For a minute I thought the low 7/8" hole could have been for a grommet to get wiring up to a light in the center of the spare tire mount, now I'm not so sure.
I bought this panel a few years ago, the guy told me he got it at an AMC meet of some kind and saw the paperwork stating it was genuine. It still has a shipping brace tack welded on.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks