Which carb rebuil kit???

Which carb rebuil kit???

project74

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 304v8... purchased 8/8/11
I have a 74 CJ5 Renegade with AMC 304 ...appears to have the original style 2bbl carb and was looking into a rebuild kit. There are NO markings on this carb for moel number but I am assuming it is a Motorcraft...rebuild kits for my year are for 2100\2150 AND 2300 models...?
What is the major difference between 2100\50 and the 2300 carbs...(jets, manual v s. electric choke?)
The one I have does have electric choke.
thanks, Ed:chug:

Where are you getting your parts from? NAPA, Autozone, etc... I'm sure I can find you a part number. 1974 you have a 2150, but the rebuild kits are the same between the 2100 and 2150. The 2300 is a variable venturi POS, you don't have one of those.

Hey Elwood,
Thanks, but dont need part #'s, I can find the 2100\50 rebuild kits ....just had never heard of a 2300...wanted to be sure if I needed it or not....variable venturi??? why is it a P.O.S.?
and thanks for the first reply.
Ed

Hey Elwood,
Thanks, but dont need part #'s, I can find the 2100\50 rebuild kits ....just had never heard of a 2300...wanted to be sure if I needed it or not....variable venturi??? why is it a P.O.S.?
and thanks for the first reply.
Ed

Ok, you're welcome :chug:. I may have been mistaken, now that I've been thinking about it, 2300 is the model number for a Holley 2 barrel carb. The rebuild kits for a Motorcraft 2100/2150 ARE NOT the same as a rebuild kit for a Holley 2300.

As for the Variable Venturi (I don't remember the model number now), they're just garbage. It was an attempt to make a carburetor fuel efficient. They are prone to metering rods that clog and hang up, and the max CFM you can get out of them is less than 400, it was just a bad design all together.

One benefits of the Motocraft 2100/2150 is that the Jets are on the bottom of the float bowls. So if you are driving down a steep incline they will not suck air and kill your engine. Where ther Holley 2300 the jets are on the front face of the carb and it is a possability. Also on the 2100/2150 the top half of the carb comes off instead of the holleys side hung float bowl that can (not often) leak.

Benefits of the Holley 2300. It is alot better made carb with an immense list of performace and upgrade parts. It is basicly the front half of a Holley double pumper so almost every muscle car performance part is open for upgrades. For instance Jets are amazingle easy to get for a holley but not so easy to find for a motocraft.

As far as personal experiance the Motocraft are a tried and true workhorse that when tuned well make decent power. Also a very reliable carb for off road use. I would never put one on a performance engine. Holley however is easy to tune and super easy to get any part that you could dream of. For instance there are 5 options for the float on the 2300 Holley and a jet kit with 36 different jet sizes runs about $50.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom