Which fan shroud to use? 258 w/ 3 core

Which fan shroud to use? 258 w/ 3 core

OEM1984CJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 258 w/T176
Ok, after doing some searching I am really confused on the correct fan shroud. I have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a 3 core radiator with center cap. I originally had a 2 core with fill cap on drivers side and factory A/C on the jeep but removed it and put a 3 core on due to leaking.

Does someone have a factory or Omix part number. I found two omix numbers 17102.01/17102.02 for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engines but not sure which one to use.

4wd has free shipping this month and I need to get it ordered today if possible.

thanks.

I'm looking at The 4wd parts catalog now, and it says for factory HD (3 row) radiators the part #5362539 by Omix

Mine has 3 core and the fill cap is in the center. That description states offset fill cap.

Well, I double checked the catalog ( I even put my glasses on this time) and it still says the # I listed above for a 3 row HD factory radiator. Have you called 4wd to talk to a rep? This is from Quadratec for the HD radiator.
See all Original Replacement Parts products

OEM Radiator Shroud
For 81-86 Jeep® CJ 6CYL with Heavy Duty Cooling
Quadratec Part No: 51218.101
Manufacturer Part No: 17102.02

$89.99

21 diameter shroud. For use with 6 blade fan (51203.000) or 7 blade sepentine fan. Radiator Shroud for 1981-86 CJ AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or AMC 232 i6 & Heavy Duty Cooling.

Well I talked to the rep and he stated that the 17102.02 was not the one I needed as it stated offset fill cap and the 17102.01 was thinner at the top to allow the center fill cap that I have. I ordered one of the .01 part number and will see it it will fit, if not then the other will be right I guess.

confusing:bang:

Let us know how this works out. I have a factory 3 row with the cap in the center in my 8, and I don't have a shroud.The description in the catalog doesn't say whether the caps in the center or offset on the HD 3 row, but it does mention it about the 2 row. :dunno::wtf:

I have a 1976 CJ7 WITH AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , non-HD cooling (4 blade fan no clutch). One of the differences between the shrouds is the old 258s with basic cooling have an off-center fan. Part 5359030 fit perfectly for me.

Ok, update. Received the 17102.01 shroud and it will not fit as the fan opening is only about 17 inches. I have the 7 blade 19.5" fan. I have a call into the rep to call Omix and find out the diameter on the other .02 shroud.

I'll have to go out and double check what fan blade is on mine, off the top of my head I thought it was 4 or 5 blade.

Just checked, mine is a 4 blade 16.125" dia. It appears that the center of the rad cap and the center of the fan are about 1.75" off center as well. HTH

Resurrecting this as I need a shroud as well. Not sure if I have the heavy duty cooling but the radiator fill is in the center and the core is probably a three core since it is pretty thick. Not sure what fan but I'll measure it today.

Resurrecting this as I need a shroud as well. Not sure if I have the heavy duty cooling but the radiator fill is in the center and the core is probably a three core since it is pretty thick. Not sure what fan but I'll measure it today.

Post some pictures, for the best way for us to help. :chug:
LG

First off-Move the return line on your fuel filter to the 12 o'clock position.
Also-Move the filter away from being over the exhaust manifold. This is a KNOWN source for engine fires when the hoses leak and drip onto the hot pipe.
IF the fan is not centered right to left to the radiator. Get to offset shroud.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/jeep_cj7--cooling_fan_shroud.htm

I have a HD rad and the std fan shroud works for me.

LG

Last edited:
First off-Move the return line on your fuel filter to the 12 o'clock position.
Also-Move the filter away from being over the exhaust manifold. This is a KNOWN source for engine fires when the hoses leak and drip onto the hot pipe.
LG

I have pretty much the same routing on my fuel line except mine goes over the top of the head cover instead of in front of it. Where is the best routing?

I have pretty much the same routing on my fuel line except mine goes over the top of the head cover instead of in front of it. Where is the best routing?

Mine is over the valve cover. I use metal lines, as much as possible.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom