Who likes-em restored, Who likes to wheel?

Who likes-em restored, Who likes to wheel?

Kane

Full Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-8 Restomod Scout axles 4 wheel disks, 258, ax15, D300.
So I like polls about various subjects and this on is no different. They usually follow my current state of mind about Jeeps and what I am doing to mine. I see so many builds on here and other forums of people building very sweet daily drivers or show pieces. Then I see people who comment and drool over them but at the same time everyone says they should be wheeled. Well you know that most people to who dump 15-20k into a Jeep will not be risking smashing it to bits in the dirt or rocks. So since I am restoring a CJ8 to a semi stock daily driver it got me to wonder.

Who likes-em restored and who likes-em to wheel?

I could no longer wheel mine without fearing the frame would collapse. So I'm restoring it so I can wheel. You can still wheel and look good while doing it right. I mean think about it, I bought my Jeep so I could wheel with it and it was brand new, ie: looked as good as a resto. But I wheeled it then so why wouldn't I wheel it now. Now granted I am wiser now and my cahonney's have shrank I'm sure, but I'm not lookin' to climb rock walls and I out grew mudd'n decades ago. (Though now I can afford to complete most of my wish list I've had for it for almost 30 years!!)

I do some stuff that is pretty rough and it has taken some flogging in the process of getting it capable. So that's my vote.

But.....after taking it from a pile and getting it running, I have done my best to keep most of my Jeep and built on what it came with versus swapping out everything. My tub, seats, engine, transfer, dash, axles (built up), CJ leafs, roll bar and even the carter (drilled venturi and hand throttle of course:)) with working stepper is there.

On the other hand, I adapted a Ford T-18 (justifiable dumping of the T-4 since some Jeeps had), tube fenders (to catch my falls :D), cut out rear (just no real way of getting 35's to clear on these trails) and the other stuff that it needed but "should have" come with from the factory. I like to think of it as an early Rubicon CJ :laugh:.

"Rubicon" ?? Is that one of them there Chrysler / Hummer wanna-be Jeeps?:D

I built my to wheel, so thats my vote.

I want mine to wheel. That's my vote.

BUT: I like to see nice looking wheelers too.

I have spray paint, saw zal etc all over mine and stickers for mods etc, but overall, I want it to be nice and clean, but first and foremost wheel-able.

Talked in circles there... Now I know why none of the options fit me the best :laugh:

:chug:

~ JR

Can i vote twice because i have two? LOL :D I like mine restored enough to daly drive. The other one i frog the :dung: out of it. :chug: O have i mentioned im not married ;)

I beat on mine like it owes me money :pissed:
...but it still looks good. :D

I don't see a poll selection that fits me?
I restored mine as best I could to new but wheel it as needed to get were I want to go without trying to leave any new paint on the trail.
Were do I fit in? if at all :D.

^^^ what Sasquach said^^^

I want my CJ to look presentable and be trail competent. I am not going to beat the daylights out of it to do something that a little thought and technology will accomplish. one day I may build a lunar rover but the CJ isn't it. I just want to get close enough to the guy that said "hey ya'll, watch this!!" to be able to watch.:D

I don't see a poll selection that fits me?
I restored mine as best I could to new but wheel it as needed to get were I want to go without trying to leave any new paint on the trail.
Were do I fit in? if at all :D.

Sounds like you fit into the third option with me.:)

the third one makes us sound like we would hesitantly get the wheels dirty or we would maybe park in the field next to the restaurant if it's crowded.
:D

Sounds like you fit into the third option with me.:)

I keep the CJ at the ranch and wheel the :dung: out of it. It is also my ride for the wife's horseback extravaganzas. I carry the refreshments and sometimes lead and sometimes follow.

I also have a JK unlimited that I wheeled the :dung: out of before I got the CJ.

Dents and scratches add character!

I just want to get close enough to the guy that said "hey ya'll, watch this!!" to be able to watch.:D

:notworthy: good one

I like to try to keep mine looking good, there's a lot of "mother nature's pin striping" but I don't do things if body damage is unavoidable.
poppie does happen though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom