wide track on cj what year axles needed

RAWDOG

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Building a 1972 cj5,
built 350,sm420,f/r d60's ,regeared dana 20 twin stick. More to come
I want to put the wide track axle style on my 72 CJ5 . What years should i look for? And should i look for a dana 60 or 44. Want to put the high steer on it. And a spring over so if there is any year that is set up for this already that would be great. Also i am doing disc brakes on all the corners which i have all the stuff to do it. Thanks just got this jeep so dont no much about what years work with what.

Also i am doing disc brakes on all the corners which i have all the stuff to do it.

what axles are the dics brakes for?
What are you planing to use the jeep for?

the disc brakes are for any 6 bolt pattern dana. Planing on using the jeep for a trail rig. And on pavement once in awhile.

Than it sounds like you want J10 axles or wagoneer axles. I'm not sure about the high steer though, J20 axles had them for sure but that was 8 lug.
If your going SOA maybe a chevy front axle.
I'm sure someone else will chime in that knows for sure.

I understand you to say you want Jeep Cj wide track axles? And you Have the Disc parts to make them work?
I think you may have a bit of misinformation if you are looking for what I believe you want.
In 1982 Jeep went from 50.5 to 54.5 wide axles in the CJ line, this was done to add stability, the CJ was being looked at as a roll over risk and the pressure was on.
So they took the 2 axles they were using in the CJ line, the Dana 30 and the AMC20 and had them widened.
so now if you want Jeep wide track axles and have the disc parts for them you are looking for a Dana 30 for the front and a corporate 20 for the rear.
Hope this helps

I understand you to say you want Jeep Cj wide track axles? And you Have the Disc parts to make them work?
I think you may have a bit of misinformation if you are looking for what I believe you want.
In 1982 Jeep went from 50.5 to 54.5 wide axles in the CJ line, this was done to add stability, the CJ was being looked at as a roll over risk and the pressure was on.
So they took the 2 axles they were using in the CJ line, the Dana 30 and the AMC20 and had them widened.
so now if you want Jeep wide track axles and have the disc parts for them you are looking for a Dana 30 for the front and a corporate 20 for the rear.
Hope this helps
That does not seem like a big jump. I want something wider than that. I was thinking of something in the d60 series. Do they make somthing wider in the d60.

yes

your looking for a set of axles from a 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy truck, not Jeep WT axles.
Lots of work installing these, but its totally possible to do it in your driveway.
And I happen to know that this will not be a street legal thing in WA state, no matter how big the fenders you build are. So I hope you can borrow a tow rig and trailer to get it to the better trails.
Get on the NWwheelers.com site and ask around for 'crash'. If he is still on there, he will be the one to talk to about this.

I use a Chevy D60 up front, but I didn't want to use a 14 bolt rear so I used a Dodge D60 rear but a Ford would work just as well. You use studs to attach Steering arms to the top of your steering knuckles for high steering. To run full with axles you have to move your front spring mounts out to the with of the D60. Good luck on you Jeep, I sure love my rig!;)

why did you not want to use the 14 bolt rear. I found a Dana 44 front high knuckle and a 14 bolt rear. I was thinking of putting this in the 72 CJ5 .

why did you not want to use the 14 bolt rear. I found a Dana 44 front high knuckle and a 14 bolt rear. I was thinking of putting this in the 72 CJ5 .

14 bolts are cheap & strong, but they are heavier & limit your ground clearance more than a D60.;)

how far would that 14 stick out of the wheel well on my 72 CJ5 . Can you use not as wide tires to get it not to stick out as far

how far would that 14 stick out of the wheel well on my 72 CJ5 . Can you use not as wide tires to get it not to stick out as far

Look at my images my rig is on full width axles.
You could use hummer rims to make it narrower.

That jeep is sick. so what rear end should i use?

That jeep is sick. so what rear end should i use?

I not really trying to knock the 14 bolt.
Like I said they are strong & cheap. I just like Dana 60's & pick mine up extremely cheap. The aftermarket use to not like the 14 bolt, but now they are showing it plenty of love. BTW thanks for the kind words.:D

What kind of rig would i find the d60's in? Is one d60 better than another? Are those hummer rims on yours?

personally, I would go with the 60. smaller pumpkin
and if you are really worried about the pumpkin size, Currie sells a great product called the rock jock 60. Save a few coins first though, they are proud of it.

Ok but what rigs did these come in. And what years should i look out for. Is one d60 better than another.

What kind of rig would i find the d60's in? Is one d60 better than another? Are those hummer rims on yours?

I picked both my 60's military surplus.
They were fully re-built every thing new from disc to disc & drum to drum for $400.
No that's not a typo.;)
My rear was from a Dodge pickup called a M880, but old Ford & Chevys used them too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom