Widest axles on a CJ5?

kidd79

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Stock 85 cj7 258 29"super swampers
Guys..
I want to put the widest (best) axles that will fit under my stock CJ5 . I want to also do a SOA upgrade, running the stock Spring setup. I have Limited welding experience, and realize that spring perches will need to be moved and welded to accommodate the wider axles.
My question is, what are the widest axles, and easiest to put in my jeep, and which vehicle to go look for in the salvage yard to get them from? Currently running 31x10.50 15's.. Plan on running no taller than 35's. The jeep will be running through fairly level mud flats, and the occasional sand dune's. Thanks in advance.

You could get a kit to install full width axles on your CJ.
Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Suspension*::*Suspension & Lift Kits*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*1976-1986 Jeep CJ Suspesnion Systems*::*Poison Spyder Customs*::*Poison Spyder Jeep CJ Full Width Axle Conversion Kit - 4X4 Off-Road Parts, JK S
POI-11-20-010-E-400.jpg

POI-11-20-010-D-400.jpg

SOA gives you 6 inches of lift. That's a lot of height. Getting full width axles would help regain the stability.
Most of the tires would then be outside the fenders so check local laws before you start this project.
POI-11-20-010-C-400.jpg

Thanks for the link.. That looks like it would be fairly easy to install, and then just bolt up some axles. Gonna have to go cruising the salvage yards for axles that fit the dimensions from the website. Thanks bro!!

early ( 70's to early 80's) chevy and dodge will both have pass. side pumpkins and the spring perches will be for SOA. Look for one with high steer knuckles.

Thanks Old Dog.
How much wider would those axles be.. Looking to get the tires as far outside the fenders as I can possibly go.. My goal for this particular Jeep is to sling as much mud as one possibly can, with a jeep. I wanna get mudday! LOL.

I have heard of some people having trouble getting Poison Spider kits in a timely fashion.

Would these work in my jeep, with minimal modifications?
Chevy axles
I would pass on ½ ton axles.....you're talking about a corp 10bolt front and either a 12bolt rear or a Dana 44 . These are not much of an upgrade over the stock axles (although the 10b is around the strength of a 44)

Swapping axles is never easy or cheap. Do it right the first time:::

I wouldnt look for anything smaller then 3/4 ton running gear if you are planning on slinging mud everywhere....better would be 1 ton running gear (D60/D60-D60/14b)

Another thing you will find out is running 35's on full width axles creates a huge clearance problem

I would pass on ½ ton axles.....you're talking about a corp 10bolt front and either a 12bolt rear or a Dana 44 . These are not much of an upgrade over the stock axles (although the 10b is around the strength of a 44)

Swapping axles is never easy or cheap. Do it right the first time:::

I wouldnt look for anything smaller then 3/4 ton running gear if you are planning on slinging mud everywhere....better would be 1 ton running gear (D60/D60-D60/14b)

Another thing you will find out is running 35's on full width axles creates a huge clearance problem

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a brand new set of 31's.. The 35's were more of an option when the 31's go bad. Maybe go 33's or another set of 31's.. But at the rate at which i run my jeep..That will take forever. (Never home due to work)..Currently down in brazil. :-/

Would these work in my jeep, with minimal modifications?
Chevy axles
Yes
IMHO I don't think you would have any problem going to 35 inch tires but at that time you would want to install 4.88 gears. 3.73 gears should work fine for 31 or 33 inch tires.

I can see you with a V8 and 40's somewhere down the road. I'm with jim on this one, get a pair of 60's and be done.:chug:

I can see you with a V8 and 40's somewhere down the road. I'm with jim on this one, get a pair of 60's and be done.:chug:

Thanks.
Which vehicle would i need to look for to get a set of the 60's out of?

Yes
IMHO I don't think you would have any problem going to 35 inch tires but at that time you would want to install 4.88 gears. 3.73 gears should work fine for 31 or 33 inch tires.

Thanks BusaDave.. Looks like there is a good debate going here. I wasn't expecting this much activity today..LOL. I do appreciate all the suggestions guys.. Guess I will have to see what's available in my area when I am ready to start with the swap out. Also going to have to learn how to make a really good bead with a welder. :eek: But i do enjoy learning new stuff. Gotta start somewhere right! :chug:

1 ton trucks. Jim might know what years would be best.
But if you really only want to run 31's than thoes 1/2 ton axles would work, maybe.

Thanks BusaDave.. Looks like there is a good debate going here.
:chug:
I think you have to start by asking what your plans are for this Jeep. If you plan on getting 40 inch tires and a V8 then yes get Dana 60s
If you are going to stick with 32 inch tires and your AMC 232 i6 then Dana 60's are overkill.

Last edited:
I think you have to start by asking what your plans are for this Jeep. If you plan on getting 40 inch tires and a V8 then yes get Dana 60s

Just going through some mud flats / mud holes, and the occasional sand pile in the local sand pit. Not many trails near me, and definitely no rocks to go climbing.. My plans for the jeep is to just go out and root around in the mud this summer when i have my daughter with me. Simply put.. want the wheels out as far as i can get em to throw a lot of mud down on our heads, and definitely don't want to break axles.. Drive shafts would seem to be more my speed to replace..That is of course at my current mechanical skill level. I'm not very skilled mechanic, but i'm definitely not afraid to take something apart. It's the going back together thing that gets me..LOL

1 ton trucks. Jim might know what years would be best.
But if you really only want to run 31's than thoes 1/2 ton axles would work, maybe.

Thanks.. Sounds like you guys are real advocates of the heavy axles.. I can see the point of doing it once, and not having to worry about it again. I dig it!

Jim....Would you happen to know which trucks i would need to get a set of the 60's out of? If i'm going to learn to do this. Might as well do it right the first time right? 40's aren't completely out of the question...but they are for right now, on the very very very far back burner..

The problem with running mud is the high rate of wheel speed and the possibilities of hook-ups. This scenario dictates something strong enough to withstand the amount of stress that would occur.

A lot of mudders go right to 2½-5 ton Rockwells, or even D70 and D80's...Thats an indication of not only the amount of power put the the axles, but also the survivability rate in mud.

look for older 1-tons (Chevy trucks, late 70's, early 80's) and Dodge trucks and vans (80's and 90's)

Edit: I would recommend a 14b rearend for strength, aftermarket support, and the low price (these can be found for a couple hundred $). The drawback is that it is an extremely large, heavy axle with very little in the way of ground clearance at the pumpkin. large tires are a must. Many 1-ton Chevys came with the 14b in lieu of the D60. But they will all still have a D60 front.

The problem with running mud is the high rate of wheel speed and the possibilities of hook-ups. This scenario dictates something strong enough to withstand the amount of stress that would occur.

A lot of mudders go right to 2½-5 ton Rockwells, or even D70 and D80's...Thats an indication of not only the amount of power put the the axles, but also the survivability rate in mud.

look for older 1-tons (Chevy trucks, late 70's, early 80's) and Dodge trucks and vans (80's and 90's)

I saw a set Rockwells on craigslist today, 1500 for the pair.. Maybe down the road, but not just yet. The deepest mud i should encounter would probably at the most, come up to my lugnuts. I completely understand the explanation. From the geography and terrain that is local to me, I'm sure the 60's would be severe overkill...But one never knows what's going to happen.. I think i will begin the search for the 60's out of the above mentioned trucks.. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Probably going to stick with the 31's for now, since they are brand new.. More then likely go up to 33's maybe 35's if they will fit.. But hey. It's always a work in progress right. Lift kits, extended travel shocks etc.. Just depends on what rig you wanna build. Ever evolving as interests and funds allow.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom