will it idle or not that is the question

will it idle or not that is the question

1983cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
My problem is that some days my idle is high some its low some it wont idle at all, at every stop it cuts off. It always starts again but it goes through this cutting off cycle and then magicaly maintains its idle (usually high) HELP

1983cj7, throttle linkage sometimes gets grimey, or else the plastic sleeve is roughened and snags on something. You might be sure all throttle linkage connections are lubricated and the sleeve, if it is a MC2150 on an AMC 304 like my 80 CJ, isn't cut or split and able to hang ( like mine! ).

Denny in Gulfport (5 wonderful years in Valdosta)

Thanks, I have checked the linkage and cleaned it . it is a inline 6 by the way.

check for vacuum leaks and clean the carb. what carb by the way?
let me guess, Carter two barrel??:cool:

Yes carter carb how did you know. Ha Ha. funny thing i was cleaning the carb and realized that the carb was loose i tightened the screws and now amazingly it runs even worse. i am beginning to think that i have bigger problems . i am considering having the engine rebuilt and without question throwing the carter carb as far as possible and picking it up and throwing it some more

The carter is not the greatest carb there ever was but I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. I suggest you use carb cleaner and the little straw and spray down the little holes the fuel comes out when you pump the throttle. This will clean the idle tubes. The carb is pretty easy to rebuild and the kit is about $15. The biggest problem they have is that they have a very low tolerance for dirt in the mechanism.
This may be a reason to think of it as, perhaps, not the best choice for off road use but it is the hand we were dealt. You may want to build up a MC 2100 but don’t forget that you need to re invent the linkage too. When I rebuilt the carter on My J-10 I was amazed at just how sloppy the PO had done the last carb rebuild, It was remarkable it would run at all when, in fact, it ran pretty good.

Yes carter carb how did you know. Ha Ha. funny thing i was cleaning the carb and realized that the carb was loose i tightened the screws and now amazingly it runs even worse. i am beginning to think that i have bigger problems . i am considering having the engine rebuilt and without question throwing the carter carb as far as possible and picking it up and throwing it some more

just for grins , have you done a compression check on your motor? any knocks/clicks/clunks??

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom