Windshield Mounting Hinge

Windshield Mounting Hinge

ColoradoCJ7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current - 1978 J20 401 auto, 1981 CJ7 304 5 speed and 2007 JK Uunlimited Rubicon all running 35" or 37" tires
Previous -1979 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1997 TJ, 1990 YJ
I recently bought a CJ7 84 that I need to mount the windshield hinge and see that the wholes are there but there are no captive nuts or backing plate. Can someone help me understand what I am missing.

I have the windshield hinge but nothing to mount them to.

I also need a ton of new hardware so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

They take the same square style nuts on them as the softtops do. Their a bit of a pain to get at. You'll have to have one arm up in the cowl area to hold the nut and be putting the bolt through from the outside. They use torx bolts originally but Id replace them. I take it you got your hinges used , new usually come with new hardware?

I can get a pic of what Im talking about after work. Probably wont be till around 9 though. ;)

I sure appreciate the info and if you have any suggestions other than the Torx for new bolts I would love to hear that info as well.

I sure appreciate the info and if you have any suggestions other than the Torx for new bolts I would love to hear that info as well.
You don't have to use Torx... Any bolt of the correct tread, size and head type will work. :)

Heres what the nut and bolt look like removed. Its a little hard to see but the bolt is beveled so it sits countersunk in your hinge. Just take one to your local hardware store and grab the proper amount with allen heads instead of torx.

PetesCJ - You are awesome and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to show me what I was not understanding.

I will be headed to the hardware store in the AM and get it taken care of.

Thanks

Curt

If you are going to be needing a lot of hardware, get a Omix Ada catalog, they sell all kinds of bits and pieces. Including a set of all new stainless bolts and nuts for jeeps.

I got it mounted and it works great. I found out that my local Ace Hardware has a full compliment of regular and stainless bolts with Alan heads that worked out great and only ran about $.75 each so way cheaper than from the Jeep dealer at $4.50 each.

Thanks for the help!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom