Windshield Size?

Windshield Size?

Nomad127

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5 with '84 258, D30/D44
I've searched and can't find the correct size of a windshield for a '73 CJ5 . The current one on my Jeep is about 1/2" less width and about 1" shorter even with the rubber seal on which slides in way too easy. I'm trying to figure out if it's my windshield that's too small or the frame is larger for some reason. Any ideas what the size is suppose to be? Mine is 55 7/8" wide X 15" tall. Thanks!

I have 2 from DJ5 postal jeeps that are that size Pm if interested

I have 2 from DJ5 postal jeeps that are that size Pm if interested
I have a windshield that's 55 7/8 X 15 but think it's too small for my '73 frame. Trying to find out what's the typical size of a '73 windshield frame.

CJ's from 72 to 75 have an slight bow at the top of the windshield, later models are flat. The windshields are easily swapped.

Here are the differences -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/windshield-cj-1134/
So is the glass from a '76+ smaller than a '72-'75? Seems so by the picture. If it is slightly smaller, maybe that's what the knucklehead PO put in there. I wouldn't be surprised. Where would I fine the exact size of a '73 windshield glass?

Don,t know if it is smaller, it has a bow at the top (72 - 75) where the later models do not.

Check out this site:

Home of the Complete Jeep Windshield - product specifications

CJ glass is just flat glass. Many glass shops cut their own and have patterns. You might want to take it one and ask them to verify the pattern. Someone may have cut it too small. Are you sure you're using the right gasket?

Don,t know if it is smaller, it has a bow at the top (72 - 75) where the later models do not.

It does have a bow at the top.

Check out this site:

Home of the Complete Jeep Windshield - product specifications

CJ glass is just flat glass. Many glass shops cut their own and have patterns. You might want to take it one and ask them to verify the pattern. Someone may have cut it too small. Are you sure you're using the right gasket?
Not 100% sure I have the correct gasket and that the glass was cut to the right size either. I e-mail the question to the site you gave me (thanks BTW) and see what they say.

Thank you both.

I have a windshield that's 55 7/8 X 15 but think it's too small for my '73 frame.

I just measured - 55-3/4 x 15 on the ends - 15-1/2" in the middle.

I just measured - 55-3/4 x 15 on the ends - 15-1/2" in the middle.
HA! Just re-measured mine and it's 15" in the middle and 14 5/16" on the ends just before it starts to round down. That would explain everything. Thanks 73CJ! Looks like I'll be getting some new glass.

Make sure the rubber gasket is the right one.

It's a 2 piece. Later are one piece.

3896-lg.jpg

Well, I ordered and received some new glass from Morris but it's the exact same size as the one I already have. It says its for a 68-75. If it isn't the right size, any ideas what size this glass would fit on?

Also, the PO was using the one piece gasket. If this is the correct glass, could having the correct, one piece gasket make up the difference?

Well, I ordered and received some new glass from Morris but it's the exact same size as the one I already have. It says its for a 68-75. If it isn't the right size, any ideas what size this glass would fit on?

Also, the PO was using the one piece gasket. If this is the correct glass, could having the correct, one piece gasket make up the difference?

Anything? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom