YJ/CJ-5 interchangable parts?

YJ/CJ-5 interchangable parts?

tdkask

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5
I have a '79 CJ5 and want to replace the tub some day. I know the tub for a CJ7 isn't a lot different than a YJ, but wonder where the difference in CJ5 to CJ7 lengths are?

What parts of the tubs can be pieced together if I wanted a CJ5 with YJ seats/interior components, CJ front end and dash, YJ steering console, etc. I'd also like to have a tailgate. I just know that I can get YJ tubs from the junkyard pretty cheaply in decent shape, and my front end (fenders, grille, etc) is in great shape. Are there already known easily swappable tub parts to a CJ5 , with parts obviously sectioned for length? Where is the difference in length? It looks like maybe in the door area and the rear bed area? Thanks for any input.

CJ5 55-71 81" Short nose
CJ5 72-83 83.5" AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ,V8 amc
CJ7 76-86 93.5
YJ 87-95 93.5

Yes the differance is 10" in the door. CJ and YJ doors are the same size.

1 What I would do is build a CJ7 using a YJ tube and your CJ5 parts
(hood and fenders CJ5 = CJ7 ) A YJ tube goes on a CJ7 frame.

2 Replace your CJ5 tube with a new tube steel or fiberglass.

Internally (body panels in back, seat mounting points, door mounts, etc) what are the known differences? Assuming I want a CJ5 when I'm done, Is there enough positives (including costs) to offset the negatives of cutting 10" out of the middle? Is it smarter just to suck it up and get a new steel tub? I will make a custom dash panel, custom roll cage, and use the whole CJ5 front end, Everything else is up in the air for whatever is cheapest/best solution/easiest as a overall.

Anything can be done. You could cut the body but you would have to do it just right. Price out a New tub for a CJ5 .
If you want a better ride and more room build a CJ7 or CJ8 .
If you picked up a CJ7 project you could swap over the parts.
You would need longer driveshafts.

Hell snag the YJ from the junyard and swap the CJ5 front end.
You still have a leaf spring jeep but it's a little wider and parts are
cheap, plus you keep the good front end.

But if you have the skill chop up the YJ tube, I would.

If you tried to narrow the door... you also have to SHAPE the door opening. The door openings are completely different shapes - the CJ7 /YJ door opening doesn't have the characteristic "door hip" of the CJ5 , their door openings are rectangular. It's an awful lotta' work you're talking about there.

If you tried to narrow the door... you also have to SHAPE the door opening. The door openings are completely different shapes - the CJ7 /YJ door opening doesn't have the characteristic "door hip" of the CJ5 , their door openings are rectangular. It's an awful lotta' work you're talking about there.

Well that changes the puzzle a little. I think at that point it may cost as much by the time I make those changes, not to mention changes in mounting points, etc. I have a while to consider it, since I am about to go on deployment in the Navy soon, but wanted to consider my repairs and upgrades for when I return.

a yj windshield frame will fit that CJ5 no problem.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the YJ hinges were completely different from the late-model CJ hinges.

i cant say 100% about a 79 cj but i have a 91yj windshield frame and hinges bolted to my 77 cj right now.

all the guy did was unbolt the hinges from his tub and i bolted it straight to my tub.

Wow - good to know. I didn't think the YJ windshields would be compatible with the CJ hinge mounts. If it fits '77, it'll fit anything from '76 to '86 without disturbing anything... and if that's true, it'll also fit ''75 & older with a hinge swap. Not that I'd actually want to see a YJ windshield frame on a '72 CJ5 ... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom