YJ windshield on your CJ write-up

YJ windshield on your CJ write-up
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-6 with 401/T-15/Scout 300/Dana 30 and 44 with 3.73, 1986 CJ-7 Laredo with 4.6 stroker/T-5/Dana 300 and 30 and 44 with 3.31,1983 CJ-8 with 258/ T-5/Dana 300 and 30 and 44 with 3.31, 1986 Trail Jeep in the works with TDK frame/4.0/NV-3550/Dana 300 and 44 front /8.8 rear/full Poison Spyder armor,2003 TJ Rubicon all stock
What? I own a CJ, not a stinking YJ. Why would I want YJ parts on my classic CJ?

Well, IF your a purist and and want nothing but original OEM parts on your baby, then stop reading and continue searching for the parts that are getting harder and harder to find. I feel this way on super clean and original CJs too..... BUT for those with trail Jeeps, projects in the works, or those you simple don't care, there are options to replacing your CJ windshield frame that doesn't involve purchasing thin metal repo :dung: out of China that doesn't fit and will still rust out even faster than the original one.

Numbers are in your favor here as there were many more YJs made and they are newer by roughly a decade. The YJ frame is dimensionally the same as the CJ frame and will share the same hinge bolt pattern and still allow the same visors, wiper motor, and hard/soft top combos.

The advantages of the YJ WS frame is that the wiper system contains larger and more heavy duty links, pivots, arms, and the frame is in-forced with double layer metal at the pivot areas. The bottom section is double layered at the corner boxes and extends further into the bottom sections. All this extra strength is obvious when you feel the weight of the YJ and CJ frames hand in hand.

So the differences.....The YJ glass is larger and uses a different seal. The defrost does not go through the WS frame in the YJ so there are no provisions for this. The wiper motor uses a different plug and is a 5 wire instead of 4. (the 5th is a ground as the YJ hinges use plastic sleeves at the pivot pins for smoothness). Also, there is upper corner nut plates for the YJ spreader bars.

So the main advantages of using a YJ WS frame is for someone wanting a stronger wiper set up, a stronger WS frame, spreader bar mounts for those using using the YJ roll bars, and a frame that has OEM quality that is more readily found in the used market.

Follow along as I show you how to address the differences and make one work on your CJ.

I started with a free YJ WS frame as the glass was falling out and it looked really bad....my YJ buddy just picked up a nice one and swapped his out. Free is good.
YJWSonCJmod_zps03a317bd.jpg

If your using the YJ glass, you can skip this part. You can use CJ glass in a YJ frame but must use the CJ seal as well. The advantage to this is that unlike the glued in YJ glass, the CJ seal and glass can be easily replaced yourself in the future. The YJ inner flange is wider and will need to be trimmed to CJ specs, or about 5/8" in my case when I measured from an OEM CJ frame. Double check with measurements from one side to the other. I used a flapper disk to make fast work of this task. You can see the material removed.
YJWSonCJ29_zps16988e50.jpg

I used a CJ frame again for reference when locating the defrost holes. I used blue tape and a razor blade to trace out the holes and transfer them to the YJ frame. A paint pen outlined the new holes and the use of a center punch, drill bits, and a dremel tool with a fiberglass cutting disk made the rough opening. A small grinding stone finished it off with deburing inside and out.
YJWSonCJmod2_zps8bdb244e.jpg
YJWSonCJmod3_zps2e867819.jpg
YJWSonCJmod7_zpsef8de5c3.jpg
YJWSonCJmod4_zpsb3015669.jpg

The same procedure was used for the bottom ovals with the exception of using a hole bit for the correct radius on the ends.
YJWSonCJmod5_zpse29e5fa8.jpg
YJWSonCJmod6_zps8f606a4b.jpg

I knew that I the next step involved pouring paint inside the frame for further protection. All the seams need to be sealed. 3M body sealer was used all around where needed as needed. Other small holes and such are filled, smoothed out and primered.
YJWSonCJmod8_zps0bd7483d.jpg
YJWSonCJ30_zps941bd252.jpg
YJWSonCJmod10_zps3a465abe.jpg
YJWSonCJmod11_zpsfb3d2b10.jpg

The larger holes were taped over and painted poured in before the frame is tumbled over and over for full coating. Be careful, this can be messy if you didn't seal everywhere or you rushed the tape job.
YJWSonCJmod12_zps87d2a09d.jpg
YJWSonCJmod13_zps121a41aa.jpg

Next, I hung up the frame and painted it white to match the customers CJ.
YJWSonCJmod14_zpscd9422ad.jpg
YJWSonCJmod15_zps908b5ea2.jpg
YJWSonCJmod16_zpsd85aeaeb.jpg
YJWSonCJmod17_zps250e2ead.jpg
YJWSonCJmod18_zpse7deb260.jpg
YJWSonCJmod19_zps85f780c4.jpg
YJWSonCJmod21_zpsf6844f8c.jpg

New glass was installed as his was cracked. This was a 100 buck deal off E bay and worked great. I use liquid soap and a cotter pin tool to install mine. No string, but that's just me.
YJWSonCJmod20_zps64a913f3.jpg

The YJ moved the hold down brackets 3/4" outward to clear the dash pad. If you modify the CJ hold down bracket, you can leave the CJ dash and tub un cut and not mess with the YJ threaded nut plates. I cut and reweld the CJ plate as shown.
YJWSonCJmod22_zps9925cd9c.jpg
YJWSonCJmod23_zpse2615561.jpg
YJWSonCJmod24_zpsbccffa91.jpg

The CJ wiper motor is used to retain the CJ plug. You simply swap the cam arm off the motor for the YJ one. Mark the position of each before you remove the nut and transfer. All the rest of the wiper system is YJ stuff. It works like a charm. The plastic CJ wiper pivot hole cover will work on the YJ hole even though the YJ hole is a touch larger. The other side needs a custom cover as it has a much larger hole for the larger wiper links.

Here is the finished results.
YJWSonCJmod25_zps142bbf64.jpg
YJWSonCJmod26_zps5f052800.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Very nicely done. I have a CJ WS frame but did install the YJ wiper linkage. I could have used some of this info to save me a little trouble I had.

:)

Only in a CJ,

Nice Write-up on the YJ Windshield frames but there should be couple of slight corrections...........

1976 was the break in Windshield angles and shapes........From 1975 and earlier those tops be it a hard or soft will not fit the later YJ frame without extensive modifications which would hardly make it worthwhile........... likewise I'm not sure the early prior to 1976 CJ Glass would fit in the YJ frame either...........

Not trying to be picky but if someone goes out to replace there frame and has a early hardtop already on there Jeep they will be disappointed.

:D:D:D:D

Well done
Side note: 87-91 no spreader bars.

I was thinking non-family cage 87-91, disregard

I was thinking non-family cage 87-91, disregard

The non family cage 87-90 had spreaders just like the family cage years 91 to 95 see pics.

I understand all had spreaders Ive owned three yj's. As I mentioned was referring to family cage and typed spreaders.

Only in a CJ,

Nice Write-up on the YJ Windshield frames but there should be couple of slight corrections...........

1976 was the break in Windshield angles and shapes........From 1975 and earlier those tops be it a hard or soft will not fit the later YJ frame without extensive modifications which would hardly make it worthwhile........... likewise I'm not sure the early prior to 1976 CJ Glass would fit in the YJ frame either...........

Not trying to be picky but if someone goes out to replace there frame and has a early hardtop already on there Jeep they will be disappointed.

No problem, I fully understand the differences as I have a 75 CJ myself. I figure that anyone mod savvy enough to undertake a project like this would have the eye to see that that the 75 back WS frames have different hold down latches and locations for them, a different size and shape of frame and glass, and a different wiper motor location, etc. The top of the WS profile on the pre 76 is also curved vs flat on 76 on. So I would hope that anyone with a pre 76 would see right away that the YJ frame would deliver too many differences in the swap where as the post 75 guys would see all the similarities in the frame when compared to their 76 to 86 frames.....but, as a "just in case" ;)
The above write up is for 1976 to 1986 CJs only and the YJ WS frames are from 87 to 95.....

No problem, I fully understand the differences as I have a 75 CJ myself. I figure that anyone mod savvy enough to undertake a project like this would have the eye to see that that the 75 back WS frames have different hold down latches and locations for them, a different size and shape of frame and glass, and a different wiper motor location, etc. The top of the WS profile on the pre 76 is also curved vs flat on 76 on. So I would hope that anyone with a pre 76 would see right away that the YJ frame would deliver too many differences in the swap where as the post 75 guys would see all the similarities in the frame when compared to their 76 to 86 frames.....but, as a "just in case" ;)
The above write up is for 1976 to 1986 CJs only and the YJ WS frames are from 87 to 95.....

Hey when you used the word "CJ Classic" that isn't a 76-86...........Good write though...........

But the real trick is using that later windshield on the early CJ prior to 1975 and dealing with the different angle or wedge at the cowell and the hinge holes have to also be relocated........can be done to the early ones also but much more work.

Ed, a couple of questions.

Can you go more in depth (pics) of the mod to motor that it's needed? My windshield came with the internal wiper assembly so I am confused as to weather I still need to acquire a yj motor to cannibalize the parts needed or what.

Also my window is perfect with no cracks, do you recommend not filling the cavity with paint if you do.not intend to remove glass?

also one more question, will my expensive new aluminum (CJ) wiper arms not fit on the YJ wiper pivot studs? great write up

Does anyone see any issues with using Eastwood's internal frame treatment on the windshield? I'm thinking in terms of vapors when using defrost.

Once it dries, I'd think you'd be ok. Maybe you'll have a little bit of smell at first, but if you left the doors and top off and ran the defrost at full blast for a few top blow out the vapors, I'd imagine it would be safe.

Once it dries, I'd think you'd be ok. Maybe you'll have a little bit of smell at first, but if you left the doors and top off and ran the defrost at full blast for a few top blow out the vapors, I'd imagine it would be safe.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. It won't be a DD and won't likely get used that much anyway. I bought an aftermarket one made in Taiwan and was just trying to think of what I could do to avoid rust for as long as possible. Nice thread by the way. :chug:

Ed, a couple of questions.

Can you go more in depth (pics) of the mod to motor that it's needed? My windshield came with the internal wiper assembly so I am confused as to weather I still need to acquire a yj motor to cannibalize the parts needed or what.

Also my window is perfect with no cracks, do you recommend not filling the cavity with paint if you do.not intend to remove glass?

When you remove the wiper motor, there is a splined shaft coming out of the gear box with a short arm sticking out 90 degrees from the shaft. There is a nut on the end holding in tight to the splines. On the other end of this arm, is either a stud and clip for the CJ linkage OR a ball socket for the YJ linkage. You need this short arm with the ball socket. It will most likely come still attached to used motors, but may not on the new ones. IF your YJ WS frame did come with the wipers, but not the motor.....go back and slap the seller! Just Kidding. See if someone has a bad YJ motor and will sell or give you just the arm. I'll check me box of motors and see If I have an extra.

The paint inside is for rust protection only. Glass in or out doesn't matter. I had to seal my seal flange because I trimmed it back with a flapper disk. Your may leak some into the inner seal. (there is an inner and outer seal on the YJ glass in addition to being glued in place.)

also one more question, will my expensive new aluminum (CJ) wiper arms not fit on the YJ wiper pivot studs? great write up

NO, the CJ pivot studs are smaller so CJ and YJ arms don't interchange.

Does anyone see any issues with using Eastwood's internal frame treatment on the windshield? I'm thinking in terms of vapors when using defrost.

Well, we were in a hurry so I used what I had leftover on the shelf, half a quart of Rustoleums oil based gloss black. Also, because we were in a hurry, I brought the frame inside the house to let the AC help dry and sure it as it was very humid and hot outside. All I can say is BEUWWWWWWWW!
It stunk up the whole house!. I'm sure it will be fine long term, but short term is really stinks. It was very thick and got down in all the cracks and seams. Someone ask so I'll address this too. If you do the paint inside, have the frame empty! I would not leave the wiper pivots and linkage in there as thick paint will act like glue when dried.
If I had the paint and time, I will use two part epoxy primer next time.

This is a great write up and I thank the user for taking time. But I want to keep things simple with an aftermarket frame. No purist as you all know. I am reaching out to those who’ve replaced their windshield with readily available aftermarket units and share their experience with fitment and overall results.

I purchased a replacement frame from Wills Overland. It fit OK and just needed a little work on the lip for the glass seal.
I'm pretty sure all the ones available come from the same source(s). The reason I purchased from WO is they are who I got my tub from. Just wish Classic had them because they make their own parts...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom