1979 cj7

1979 cj7

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1957 FC150 Narrow Track
I can use some help with this Jeep, I have a chance to trade my 1997 TJ for a 1979 CJ7 with a factory AMC 304 V-8 automatic Transmission front disc brakes and factory hardtop and steel doors, also as a part of this deal is a 1995 toyota camry. they both run and look good. The TJ was picked up for my 16 year old daughter but she is telling me she would rather have a car so a car for her and another jeep for me. So anything special I should look for on the jeep? I did run the VIN and it is a factory auto with a AMC 304 .

Sounds like everybody wins I say go for it. :)

I can use some help with this Jeep, I have a chance to trade my 1997 TJ for a 1979 CJ7 with a factory AMC 304 V-8 automatic Transmission front disc brakes and factory hardtop and steel doors, also as a part of this deal is a 1995 toyota camry. they both run and look good. The TJ was picked up for my 16 year old daughter but she is telling me she would rather have a car so a car for her and another jeep for me. So anything special I should look for on the jeep? I did run the VIN and it is a factory auto with a AMC 304 .

Everyone wins but the silly teenager. She goes from a cool jeep to a used Camry, but if that is what she wants today :eek:)

Do you have smog requirements there?

Check all the usual stuff, damage, rust, frame cracks, crawl under and poke around with a screwdriver, (i still missed some) check for poorly done mods, clear title, do a nice test drive at different speeds, check for slop in the steering, bump steer. Test 4 high and 4 low, look where it parks for oil leaks. Test electrical, blinkers, running lights, break lights, head lights, marker lights. Test the heater controls, wipers. Compression test if you wanted to go nuts...

Troy--
Steering rehab- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4106
Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

DO NOT LET YOUR TEENAGER DRIVE THE CJ! CJs are just far too tippy and teenagers far too inexperienced for them to handle a panic situation. This is the voice of experience here; all it will take is something as minor as a dog running into the road for them to swerve then over correct and roll. I was one of the lucky ones, my daughter lived. Wranglers are OK as the frame width is wider making them more stable.

I don't know a lot about the TF999 Transmission or the QuadraTrac t-case either, hopefully someone else will chime in on those. A couple of things I can think of though;

- Check the carb on the AMC 304 , they came factory with a MC2100, if someone has replaced it, figure out what they've replaced it with, may be a PITA to deal with...
- The doors, 79's had the slap close style doors, with the rotary handles on the outside. These doors notoriously have a stress crack by the non-movable wing window. These doors are also a little difficult to refurb because of lack of aftermarket parts. If the dooors have been replaced with 81 and up (even YJ) doors, you're good to go.

Those are the only two that come to mind immediately, hope it helps :chug:

DO NOT LET YOUR TEENAGER DRIVE THE CJ! CJs are just far too tippy and teenagers far too inexperienced for them to handle a panic situation. This is the voice of experience here; all it will take is something as minor as a dog running into the road for them to swerve then over correct and roll. I was one of the lucky ones, my daughter lived. Wranglers are OK as the frame width is wider making them more stable.
I think we will be keeping the TJ for awhile longer she thought she wanted a car but thats this week. Thanks again for the help.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom