1982 Jamboree with 4sp tranny?

1982 Jamboree with 4sp tranny?

tvithoul

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jamboree
Hi, I am about to purchase a 1982 Jamboree in pretty good shape, but a few things have been changed. The color is all wrong and the Transmission is 4spd, not 5spd. I went through the VIN number and found that it was manufactured with a 5spd. The current owner never knew it came with a 5spd... I'm a little skeptical now. Any differences in the Transfer Case or any other gotchas in the Transmission switch? Can I just get a 5spd and change it back?

New to the CJ family - just sold my wrangler to get this...

Thank in advance for any thoughts

:ww: from Colorado. If the 4speed in it now is a T-176 it is alot stronger then the T-5 5speed that it came with. So you are better off the way it is.

Thanks for the info. How can I know what type/model? Is there a serial or model number I can see by looking at the Transmission ?

really appreciate the info and really psyched if this isn't a deal breaker :chug:

Last edited:
These two trannies (T-4 & T-176 ) are both aluminum but you can tell the difference if it has the ribs (T-4 )
t4_novak.jpg

t176.jpg

Also notice the T-4 shift lever is mounted further back in the TCase adapter.

One last thing: The T-4 is more common than the T-176 . A buyer almost has to ask for the heavy duty Transmission to get a T-176

These two trannies (T-4 & T-176 ) are both aluminum but you can tell the difference if it has the ribs (T-4 )
t4_novak.jpg

t176.jpg

Also notice the T-4 shift lever is mounted further back in the TCase adapter.

One last thing: The T-4 is more common than the T-176 . A buyer almost has to ask for the heavy duty Transmission to get a T-176
Also for me the easiest way to tell the differance between a T-4 and a T-176 is the 176 has a lot bigger shift lever cover, and the shape is completly differant as you can see in these two pics supplied by bustadave.:)

The shifter cane in a T-4 is S shaped (as is the T-5 ) and the T-176 is straight. The color for the Jamboree model should be either Topaz Gold Metallic or Olympic White and yes it came with a factory 5-speed (T-5 ).

Last edited:
Not to pour fuel on the fire, but there are a couple more trannies I guess it could be and that is the SR4 , which is similar to the T-4 , also not the greatest of 80's transmissions... and then a T-18 , which would be great, but could have come from a Jeep/Ford/IH, who knows.

I am more concerned with the color... they changed the gold color or the white color?

Craig

Look for the vin tag riveted to the firewall. If it's still there it will have the paint code on it.

Welcome bud. Another Cj owner closer to me! Anyhow, I would concur. If you do inde have the T-176 I would keep it. Of course if your the type that wants something like this 100 stock then you won't have any trouble selling your T-176 . I would even consider taking that piece of trash off your hands so you can install your T-5 :D

It depends on what you want to do with it. Restore it or wheel it? If you plan to wheel it then does it matter what color it is? Be happy you have the better tranny in it now. Many PO's may not know what they have. There are a lot of people out there that buy jeeps and know nothing about them and give up on them. Sell them and so fourth. It takes time and a bit of research to see the entire inner workings of your jeep and the patient pays off in the end.

Welcome to our world! If you ever want to do events or rides let me know. I have some cool buddies in the ESJA (Eastern Shore Jeep Association) and I am a member of the NJJA (New Jersey Jeep Association).

Eastern Shore Jeep Association • Index page

ESJA folks are some of the coolest level headed folks I have met since getting into jeeps 7 years ago.

Also there is Ocean City Maryland Jeep coming up soon.
Ocean City Jeep Week
This is hosted by ESJA...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom