Build Thread 1983 CJ-7 Renegade

Build Thread 1983 CJ-7 Renegade
Hang in there mate !!
If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

:chug:

Many people have been in your shoes. Keep plugging away.

:chug:

The bolt drilling is not going as smooth as expected. Beginning to doubt my skills fellas. :censored:

Definately had to step away and calm down. Bought 3 carbide drill bits in progressive sizes, made some headway through one bolt then just couldn't get any deeper. At one point I thought I was applying so much pressure the bit may snap. I used cutting oil as well. I guess they just dulled that quick. They were dewalt carbide bits for heavy metal drilling. WTF? :dunno:

Back to the drawing board, but I will keep at it.

Definately had to step away and calm down. Bought 3 carbide drill bits in progressive sizes, made some headway through one bolt then just couldn't get any deeper. At one point I thought I was applying so much pressure the bit may snap. I used cutting oil as well. I guess they just dulled that quick. They were dewalt carbide bits for heavy metal drilling. WTF? :dunno:

Back to the drawing board, but I will keep at it.

I can only ask what sort of cutting oil ?
And - 1. Applying pressure is funny. Keep the pressue on, but always let the bit do the work.. hole saws are the best examples off both points.
- 2. There should be an optimum speed, normally a lot slower then you think it should be. Too fast and and the bit will be blunt in less then a minute...
Hope you get a brake through soon !

Here's another option I used a few weeks ago.

I had broken off a bolt extractor inside a bolt. Wow huh. Yea, and drill bits won't even put a scratch in a bolt extractor.

So, I came up with using a ball-nose carbide end mill bit. The ball-nose end mill chewed through the extractor like no problem. The only downside to this is that an end mill bit does not track straight like a drill bit, so it's allowed to wander left to right and wallows out the hole a little.

I am confident that it would eat right through a regular bolt. Just be sure to brace the drill well and keep perpendicular to the hole as best you can.

Just an idea.

Sorry for the lack of updates! I recently finished remodeling my master bedroom. In the mean time I ordered a bunch of different sizes of bulk drill bits from harbor freight and ordered two different sets of left hand bits. Well, HF screwed up my order and only sent me one item in my package. Customer service was pretty good and shipped out my other items end of last week. Hoping they show up before the holidays. I have to return home the day after xmas to work and my office will be practically empty. Hope to spend some afternoons getting a rollbar off. Merryy Christmas to everyone!

C dubya -

One thing I found out about working on an old Jeep, you end up with a lot of new tools you did'nt have when you started :D

Good luck on the bolts, Bill

Well fellas it has been a long time and not much progress. Home remodeling and another jeep to the collection has been taking up the majority of my spring and summer. Currently finishing up my last honey do before the arrival of my 2nd daughter in 3 weeks. Shortly after that it's back to the cj. The time off has given me alot of time to research things and change plans time and time again. I did score a ford T-19 that will be going behind my Dana 300 . I have decided it's going to get a lift as well. Luckily though, I have been able to keep it garaged and out of the elements. Here is a pick of my other jeep that has been distracting me. I have not given up or sold out!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom