Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Rebuild - Chasing my youth
Santa came! Going to be a good weekend!

3f0d5798f4c32893012856cdb23dc0c2.jpg90d6c30c2abac00452407c574e1f8935.jpgdfd9dfaa7aa81502855e684871f12fa1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What BDS lift did you go with?

Man I love it when Santa shows up with Jeep parts, looks like you got a good haul this round

Sent from my backyard using Tapatalk

Father’s Day weekend was well spent with Dad. We moved a little slow with a couple small hiccups, but oil pump, pickup and pan installed. Front side buttoned up, balancer on, and new serpentine water pump set. This is a little uncharted waters, but heard going to serpentine set up is worth it.

Also, got pushrods measured and ordered up. Come on Santa again!!51b38d6cf8d2c6c2addc46e6216a623a.jpg3e70741655413b8fec8a4e4d699b4f39.jpg8804ca782b05b26bf0c70343f4cea5ea.jpg

Felt good to start back on the actual Jeep part of this build. I should have taking a picture of the two ratchet strap circus act that we needed to do to get the new YJ springs in, belt felt I wanted to get the springs bolted up as quick as I could before a strap let go!

But starting to look like not a pile of parts e4eb52050e4d85e40bb54cb0b339208f.jpga46fe718c822d5dfc36bc1af49b913b9.jpg566b767eb4f0d3c782d5c90eb9860c23.jpg

But did run into some BDS lift issues. No sure those are correct shocks or maybe for the front. But other set of shocks were stem mounts and not eyelets. I have stud mounts front and rear. Called my distributor to see what might be the issue. Also, the destructions didn’t specify which part # for front or rear.

Felt good to start back on the actual Jeep part of this build. I should have taking a picture of the two ratchet strap circus act that we needed to do to get the new YJ springs in, belt felt I wanted to get the springs bolted up as quick as I could before a strap let go!

But starting to look like not a pile of parts e4eb52050e4d85e40bb54cb0b339208f.jpga46fe718c822d5dfc36bc1af49b913b9.jpg566b767eb4f0d3c782d5c90eb9860c23.jpg

But did run into some BDS lift issues. No sure those are correct shocks or maybe for the front. But other set of shocks were stem mounts and not eyelets. I have stud mounts front and rear. Called my distributor to see what might be the issue. Also, the destructions didn’t specify which part # for front or rear.

Did you consider the reverse shackle option ? and if not why ?

I did, and opinions were split 50/50. As this is going to be more of a cruising road vehicle, I thought it would be right fit. But scouring the web and forums, opinions were varied. And for the cost and modification (most required welding, think there is one drill and bolt on kit from MORE), I passed. Lift cost more as I went with the YJ conversion. Trying to ebb the cash flow.

So beenbtalking to both BDS and the shop I bought from. Got a couple issues, first I got a set of stem top shocks, not stud and stud mounts. So need to swap those, plus and I’m not sure, but these shocks look way too long, even before tub and rest of the Jeep is on the frame, I have roughly 3.5 in of travel available in the rear. BDS is saying it’s fine. The shop I bought from says no. I can’t imagine you wouldn’t want your shock sitting neutral in the middle of the stroke?

e0f4970ad39bc475d75423a67b0bda3d.jpg25034b1a92ea54fddc4863b92fdc2eb4.jpg

Also rear springs do not seem long enough. We had to ratchet strap the heck out of them to get them to reach the shackle and even then, they’re pulled way inward. BDS is saying that this normal and that when the tub is on, they’ll flatten out. But the front went buttery smooth and everything seems in good alignment. I said if the springs flatten out, I feel like I’m going to have a reverse rake. So I’m not sure what’s right I hate to have to wait till everything is bolted in to find out something is wrong. 6236b1a4fa94966449d31edc123b4c14.jpg03b698a9bcd9efa3e39ccaf15b03615f.jpg

Yep the rear one looks pretty short, they must be expecting it to settle a lot,I have loved Summit for a long time they have very fast shipping, and now that I went to the Arlington store I really want to go back and drool some more lol

Yea wish we had a Summit somewhere near our area

Nice build thread you got going.
Is it possible the rear hangers can be turned around?

A Summit retail store! Tell me it lives up to what one would fantasize?

I’m going to pull the rear leafs this week and measure them. The hangers wouldn’t be reversed, but the shackles can be mounted either way. I did find out that I should flip them, but that maybe nets me 3/8” more, not enough.

A Summit retail store! Tell me it lives up to what one would fantasize?

I’m going to pull the rear leafs this week and measure them. The hangers wouldn’t be reversed, but the shackles can be mounted either way. I did find out that I should flip them, but that maybe nets me 3/8” more, not enough.

Yep it sure does, they had an edelbrock 401 head on display, a Richmond 4 speed, a tremec 5 speed, at least 100 wheels 20 different chairs to sit in, at least 10 fuel injection systems, several blowers, a drag car in the ceiling at least 50 different carbs on the shelf, and a giant warehouse in back

I’m back! After some site issues and summer time activities, back to wrenching. So some more issues with BDS lift. Went to install the rear axle shims and two issues. First, both the bolt and nut threads junked when loosened even with the leaves being clamped together.

5df4f3ad5e4ad9868b9bde0335a3a9a5.jpg
b9a62312b2e336ae24417282b35d924a.jpg

I cleaned them up best I could with a tap and die, but didn’t feel great about the hold. Also, they were way short! They didn’t even come out through the nut. Seriously?

3aae07b660577f9a84b054fd5c07ceee.jpg

So back to waiting for parts. Couple days later new shocks came in and my lift seller got me some longer studs. Those are better 1379d5ba62029ac45696a4addff61857.jpg

Of course, now I had to cut them, but as with many things, a little massaging for perfect fit.

So shocks look much better length.

7e4cd421f3d1c3f16632c79e4a2f163a.jpg

Got my rear springs pulled back out and measured. They’re the right length according to BDS. I also discovered I that I had my shackles upside down. But even swapping them, I didn’t really gain much. Still had to ratchet strap the hell out of them to get them back in the shackles. And they’re pulled way forward still. I guess I’ll have to wait till body is on to see how they sit.

747bd7e9c1dd122124b1a1196ab57618.jpgee9d2bcac62f1dfe623ef112436d4ad4.jpg

Been working on buttoning up the front end. New spindles, bearings, rotors, and locking hubs. Passenger side went together no problem with a little help from a screw driver to pull axle shaft forward to put in the clip.

But the driver side, regardless of how much pry and leverage I put on the axle shaft, I cannot get it to push out far enough to get the c clip on?? Rotor bearings can only go one way, even with two different sizes, rotor assemble won’t slide on spindle if you have bearings on wrong sides. Spindles with backing plate torqued to spec, think 40lb. Axle nuts torqued to 50lbs, but still not enough shaft to get the c clip on. I don’t want to preload the bearing anymore with axle nuts and already driver side seems less free play than passenger side. Any ideas?

ee9d2bcac62f1dfe623ef112436d4ad4.jpg

Ya that spring does look short , they must be expecting them to really relax when loaded

Sent from my living room using Tapatalk

Been working on buttoning up the front end. New spindles, bearings, rotors, and locking hubs.

To much paint on knuckle? Spindle not seated fully? Spindle not manufactured correctly?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks