225 or 231?

225 or 231?

rocmoc

Jeeper
Thanks
Tucson, AZ & Mexico (both Mainland & Baja)
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, V6, 3spd, power steering, headers, electric fans, upgraded larger radiator, '78 grill, disc brakes (front only), swing pedals, hyd clutch, extended front shock mounts, upgraded front driveline w larger u-joints, warn OD, D30 front diff, lockers, 2100 carb, working on a '74 tub replacement, '78 windshield frame with '78+ Acme hardtop
Now the proud owner of two (2) CJ5s. '69 is 85% for off the road use with lockers, 4:88 gears, overdrive, headers, 33" tires, power steering & disc brakes. '70 is 85% non-4x4 use pulled behind a motorhome and is ALL stock with 3:73 gears, no overdrive and 29" tires. I have to work on both V6 engines. I can install them in either CJ5. Which CJ, '69 or '70, would you put the 225 in?

Thanks rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Off-roader. The very heavy flywheel used on the odd-fire 225 makes it hard to stall. It is also said to be cammed for more low RPM than the even fire 231. Know if you had the one-year only 231 odd-fire or a FI 231 that would change my mind. Loved the 225 in my C101...

Now the proud owner of two (2) CJ5s. '69 is 85% for off the road use with lockers, 4:88 gears, overdrive, headers, 33" tires, power steering & disc brakes. '70 is 85% non-4x4 use pulled behind a motorhome and is ALL stock with 3:73 gears, no overdrive and 29" tires. I have to work on both V6 engines. I can install them in either CJ5. Which CJ, '69 or '70, would you put the 225 in?

Thanks rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

:)They both should be 225's the 231 was not put into production by GM again till 1975
:D:D:D:D

:)They both should be 225's the 231 was not put into production by GM again till 1975

Correct. The 231 casting number is 1977. PO or someone in the past removed the beloved 225. 231 has even-fire HEI.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Buick 225 oddfire is a good wheeler motor , but the 231 you can throttle body it or fuel inject it odd fire gotta run carb

Buick 225 oddfire is a good wheeler motor , but the 231 you can throttle body it or fuel inject it odd fire gotta run carb

:)Papa............

Howell FI claims they have a way of doing it on an odd fire and I have heard of other guys using a crank trigger pick up that pulses @120 degree spread that will also trigger the injector.

Send a link on the 225 howell fi then please :) I could not find anything on howell fi web site .

Send a link on the 225 howell fi then please :) I could not find anything on howell fi web site .

:)I don't have a link................but I have heard they have a solution.

:D

I Had searched and searched when rebuliding my 225 in my m38a1 , and never found anything for the 225 only the even fire 231 :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks